View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1989 DS Torque upgrade Questions

To increase your torque for a 1/2 mile hill do as SCOTTYB says and I would add the following
#1 instead of going with 8 volt batterys I would just add 2 EXTRA 6 volt batterys ( to make your 48 volt pack ) this will give you more amp hour rating "POWER" than 6- 8 volt batterys. NOTE GO WITH HIGHEST AMP HOUR RATED BATTERYS AVAILABLE EXAMPLE "TROJAN 6 volt T-145 260 Amp Hour" WHILE A "8 Volt Trojan T-890 is only 190 Amp Hour".
#2 replace ( ALL 6 guage cables battery and to F&R and to Motor ) with 4 gauge minimum or better yet 2 gauge welding cable depending on how high a amp rated solid state controller you purchase ( highest strand count you can find at local welding supply store ) Be sure and install a HD F&R switch as this is a point where heat builds up the most on heavy loads like you will have.
I think if you do the previous that you wont need to change gear ratio's because the 36 volt motor will give you more than a stock 48 volt motor does. If you feel that this isn't enough for you I would go to a torque motor ( rebuilt or new ) some even use a multi speed but usually they are for speed more than torque? Check with our sponsors for controller size etc, but be ready with tire size, possible lift etc and possible later updates to get correct combination.
Good luck and keep us posted with rebuild and of course with any questions you might have. PICTURES WE LOVE.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote