View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
10tontractor
Not Yet Wild

Default Electric solenoid vs control problems.

1996 EZGO Medalist Series cart 36volt
Ran these test as instructed and got following results?

Start Battery voltage: 34.5 All batteries ck out fine and all cells have good specificity rates.

Step 1

Switch cart to "Tow-maintenance" mode by flipping the switch under seat. Disconnect the black battery cable (negative) from the battery, open the cover to the speed controller and then reconnect the negative battery cable.
* NO Tow/maint switch on mine
Step 1
Inspect all wires to ensure that they are attached and well connected, there are no breaks, corrosion or interference with the wires. Take the reading of the battery voltage by connecting the positive and negative probes to the battery. Write the voltage reading down.
Voltage is 34.5
(I've not had on charger for 10 days as that was last use.)

Step 2
Test the solenoid to see if this is the problem. Place the positive probe on the solenoid post that is closest to the battery. The reading should be equal to battery's voltage. If not, there is a wiring issue in the solenoid. Connect the positive probe to the other post and take a reading. If the voltage is not at least three volts fewer than the voltage reading for the battery, the resistor must be replaced. If you have a volt reading equal to the battery volts, the solenoid is the issue.
* Solenoid and resister were replaced.

*Voltage test to r/s solenoid post (near batteries) reads 34.4 other side reads 34.4 *not 3volts less then*

Step 3
Check the power output from the controller by connecting the negative probe to the controller's M terminal and positive to the B+ terminal. Press the accelerator and watch to see if the voltage increases. It should increase from a reading of 0 to the full voltage of the battery. If the motor is not turning, the problem may be in the directional switch or motor. The controller is bad and must be replaced if there is no voltage.

Did this test. When I placed (-) probe on M and pos probe on B+ term it reads 32.8 v.. pushing the pedal down then 'does nothing' as no change in volts remaining at 32.8. Same with key on/off.** But when I did test by placing F/R switch either way.. zero O reading.** Is this Normal ??

Using these test results, can anyone advise or lend some advice on what these results mean? Anymore test I can try?
Thanks, Jack
10tontractor is offline   Reply With Quote