lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
ChargerGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default Converting new charger to older style connector. HELP!

I have a new Yamaha JW2-H2107-01 battery charger with the new style of connector, the one with three wires instead of just two. This is the connector I am talking about: http://ezgolfcart.com/i-2746227-char...a-48v-17a.html

I want to put an old style two wire connector on the new charger. I am wondering if this is possible and if so, is there anything special that needs to be done?

Can someone confirm for me what the third wire is for? I have heard a couple different things. One guy said it was just an anti drive off, so if the third wire isn't hooked up to anything in the charger, the charger will still work. But then another guy said the third wire senses voltage and is actually what kicks on the charger. Therefore, if I don't have a third wire the the charger won't work.

I hope I have given you enough information to work with.
ChargerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Converting new charger to older style connector. HELP!

Dayum that thing is expensive!!!

I think I would try to get in touch with Yamaha directly for your answers. When it comes to messin with something that expensive, you really don't want to guess.
Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
ChargerGuy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
Dayum that thing is expensive!!!

I think I would try to get in touch with Yamaha directly for your answers. When it comes to messin with something that expensive, you really don't want to guess.
I'm pretty sure the worst thing that would happen is the charger wouldn't turn on. But, yes, it would suck to fry that baby up.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Mayfair
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I'd also hate to see you damage your cart. You'd better get the green light from the mfg.
Mayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

1 thing is i hope you didn't pay that much for that charger. I sell the same 1 much much cheaper.

anyway to your question. Yes you can change the end. Just like any other. The 3rd wire is the signal wire so the cart dont move when plugged up, (just like reed switch setup in an ezgo) You have a pwr, grnd and signal. I am gonna say put the signal on the power ( + ) wire and grnd ( - ) on grnd.

worst case is the charger wont turn on.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
ChargerGuy
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
1 thing is i hope you didn't pay that much for that charger. I sell the same 1 much much cheaper.

anyway to your question. Yes you can change the end. Just like any other. The 3rd wire is the signal wire so the cart dont move when plugged up, (just like reed switch setup in an ezgo) You have a pwr, grnd and signal. I am gonna say put the signal on the power ( + ) wire and grnd ( - ) on grnd.

worst case is the charger wont turn on.
I got it off eBay for $180, so I think I did okay. Please tell me I did okay.

Anyhow, thank you very much for the info. So, can I just splice the green and black wires together inside the connector, or how would you do it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha