lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Golf Cart Racing
Golf Cart Racing Buggies Gone Wild Racing League

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Jeff Gordon
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart for Darrell Gwynn

We are in the process of building a Lido cart into a custom enclosed cart for former paralyzed drag racer Darrell Gwynn. We are starting with a Lido electric and will stretch it build an electric slide-out so Darrell can turn his wheelchair inside and will ride on air bags so we can drop to the ground to load and unload Darrell, it will also have a generator to run heating and air conditioning. We’d like this cart to be capable of running 45 mph on gas. My question is, does anyone know of a Lido that has been converted to gas and what was used for power and differential. We are currently thinking of starting with the back half of a 1997 or newer Club Car gas model and tweaking the Kawasaki motor but we’re starting with a clean slate and would like to get ideas or alternative ideas from the forum.
Jeff Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart for Darrell Gwynn

The Lido is certainly a nice cart to begin with, I don't know that they ever made a gas model? I'm also not certain a single 4 stroke motor is going to have enough power to haul the extra load & do what you want. I would be looking towards a bigger twin cylinder.
Keep us posted, Scottyb
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Jeff Gordon
Not Yet Wild

Will do, just gathering info now so we don't make any mistakes in the build. We did build a couple of electric dragsters for Darrell and Big Daddy Don Garlits last year and all that worked well. I hope I uploaded the photo correctly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlits v gwynn race cars.jpg (143.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Holly smokes! That is impressive. What are the specs and what were the results?

P.S.
The problem with the 97 & up CC diff is the clockwise rotation. That fact will limit you to the stock motor, as you know the rest of the world turns Counterclockwise.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Jeff Gordon
Not Yet Wild

They were modified electrics by D&D, the cars each resembled their 1986 real cars, they we 240" long. Given Darrell need to be placed in the car, the top of the roll cage had to be bolted and unbolted and Darrell drove it with a joy stick similar to his wheelchair for both power and steering, the brakes were electric over air as he does not have the power in his one remaiming arm to use a manual brake.....given all that we tuned so as not to go over 35 mph. They raced last year at 5 different NHRA national events including the US National in Indy where Darrell got his only Indy Wally.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What a great effort you guys made to do that for him and the sport. A friend of mine used to drag race back in the day when drivers built & drove their cars. He's got a lot of stories....

Back to your cart, it sounds like it might get heavy. How much do you think it will weigh?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Jeff Gordon
Not Yet Wild

Without Darrell in it, guessing 1,000 lbs or so
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

great thing your doing here, I've been to the Gators for 36 years, and have watched those car run, nice, -- you'll get all the help you want here
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Can I ask why you are fixed on using a Lido as the base?
Would you consider a Yamha gas or Ez-go gas? Perhaps a limo or workhorse??
Either of these would be far easier to drop a v-twin Briggs or Honda in.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Jeff Gordon
Not Yet Wild

The Lido has the correct lines to to stretch and build totally enclosed and have the slide-out and gullwing door look correctly. We can cut the back half off of any manufacturer's cart and build the chassis to fit it. We believe at this point a Club Car with Kawasaki running gear will be best but more than willing to listen to others who have done gas upgrades. If we can build those dragsters, we'll build a bitchin cart!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Golf Cart Racing