lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
DealMaker8378
Getting Wild

Default Re: Whats the deal with the "new" type of charger?

I understand there will be a "spilt' beer" umbrella accessory available to address this.

Yeah....what is with the change in the charger......I'm slow, took me awhile to figure out there was an english translation to that manual that some one posted the link to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
From the manual, hope this helps:
DealMaker8378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
BlackCobra
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know this charger, or if it is inferior to the Delta Q?
BlackCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra View Post
Does anyone know this charger, or if it is inferior to the Delta Q?
It's not necessarily inferior to the Delta-Q, it's new to the marketplace. They are made in China and were introduced about 6 mos to a year ago. It is a high frequency charger that charges using the principles of the Delta units. These should be better than the typical ferro-resonant chargers that most people are familiar with because they don't boil the batteries at the end of the charge cycle and should result in longer battery life.

The reliability has yet to be proven and there have been some complaints posted regarding tech support but there is little information out there yet to really compare these.

I only see from the photo that it has CE certification which is a European equivalent to UL. In order for it to comply in the US, I think UL is still required. I'm not sure of this as it has been years since I have been involved with UL certifications; maybe someone who is more current can help out here.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
YellowSled
Gone Wild

Ok, I found the company that makes this charger!

http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog...53/7638003.htm

YellowSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Sorry to say Yellow, that is incorrect, they are a retailer that operates out of a small shop down by the tracks in my city about 4 blocks from my old office.
The chargers are manufactured by Sino-US Hangzhou Tiecheng Information Technology Co., Ltd. in China, this is their website:
http://www.hztiecheng.com/english/Product/T8/29.html
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
DealMaker8378
Getting Wild

Doug....do these things normally come programed with the proper charging curve to match the installed batteries or anybody's guess?
Quote:
Sorry to say Yellow, that is incorrect, they are a retailer that operates out of a small shop down by the river in my city.
The chargers are manufactured by Sino-US Hangzhou Tiecheng Information Technology Co., Ltd. in China, this is their website:
http://www.hztiecheng.com/english/Product/T8/29.html
Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #17
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I don't know about the programming on these. I would think that they would be done for you but the company installing them is really not in that business, hopefully they were ordered with the correct parameters.
I live in a golf cart community, this from one of my local sites I was at regarding these chargers on GEM cars: http://golfcarportal.com/education/buying_gem.php
Quote:
The on-board battery charger is a critical factor in battery longevity. Chargers can undercharge, overcharge, or even damage batteries if not used and configured correctly. GEM has changed battery chargers three times over the years. The first was a Schott charger, then came Zivan, and lastly Delta-Q.
There is no mention here of the ElCon charger but it is relatively new. If you are uncertain about whether the charge curve is set properly for the type of batteries being installed, ElCon in Sacramento can reprogram them for $100+. I think you would have to remove the charger, send it to them, give them the parameters and they would do the rest and send it back to you.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
DealMaker8378
Getting Wild

Looks like the curve is selectable (1-10) by the end user......what's the criteria for selecting the right one?
Quote:
I don't know about the programming on these. I would think that they would be done for you but the company installing them is really not in that business, hopefully they were ordered with the correct parameters.
I live in a golf cart community, this from one of my local sites I was at regarding these chargers on GEM cars: http://golfcarportal.com/education/buying_gem.php

There is no mention here of the ElCon charger but it is relatively new. If you are uncertain about whether the charge curve is set properly for the type of batteries being installed, ElCon in Sacramento can reprogram them for $100+. I think you would have to remove the charger, send it to them, give them the parameters and they would do the rest and send it back to you.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #19
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Wish I could tell you but I don't know the answer. I currently have an old style ferro-resonant charger but will be looking into one of these new fangled devices when I do do my voltage/speed/torque upgrade later this year.

Maybe to set your mind at ease, an email to DE to enquire as to what they ordered and what parameters they gave or what the curve settings should be.

That information would be a handy post for anyone who has this charger and needs to confirm the settings.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I remember when the JOYNER vehicles first came out. The sales people were on me like prom date. I had plenty of sales info, yet not vehicles. Nice stereos, ITP wheels, Carlisle tires, etc. First units showed up with Chinese copies of each item I considered as a plus - you know, the stuff in the brochure

Eventually, I sent the vehicles back and wiped my hands from import products - sounds like there may have been some of the same things happening here?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay