lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default How do I program my new Alltrax?

Hi,

I am wondering HOW I can adjust the settings in my new 500amp Alltrax controller. I bought it from ScottyB (The BEST) and I'm having a problem with no speed gains, no noticeable gains at all actually.

I'm thinking that Alltrax is going to end up sending me a new map to install. How do I do that? Is there a special cable that must be used?

It seems everyone on here is changing their settings for throttle response, etc and talking about how it changed things one way or the other. Most of them seem to be setttling their issues with these settings. My controller and solenoid didn't include any kind of hookup to a computer. Just a controller, a solenoid, a diode. No wires, no way to adjust anything.

I'd appreciate any info on where to buy a cable, what part # (or way of identifying it) that I'd need to get the right one the first time and any advice on how to get through the task. Price ranges would be helpful too!

Thanks guys and gals and happy carting!!!
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: How do I program my new Alltrax?

First of all you need to make sure you got a programmable controller. Then you need to get a cable at radio shack, db9 to usb. Thry are about $45.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
First of all you need to make sure you got a programmable controller. Then you need to get a cable at radio shack, db9 to usb. Thry are about $45.
Try amazon.com for a cheaper cable
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Also, a controller is not going to help your speed, it will help your torque and allow things like bigger tires or high torque/speed motor. You are not going to notice a lot if any gain with just a controller upgrade. You would have been better off just getting a new motor.

The programming you are talking about is mainly in response to smooting out the takeoff which the alltrax has some major problems.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info on the cable!

I bought a DCX 500amp Alltrax programmable controller. So that's going to allow me to change those torque/speed settings I think. Is it one or the other? I mean, I give up torque off the line for a bit more speed? Or is it just a matter of altering how much torque is available but the speed is what it is? In other words, is it a trade off?

Obviously, I've got a lot more to learn...

I think installing a new MCOR will help some with the lurching and throttle response. I don't expect a miracle there. But combined with adjusting the settings, I think I can help it some. Am I thinking okay here?

Finally, that hurt when you said I would have been better off buying a motor. Ouch! But then, I want to do that anyway. I just was under the impression that the best route was swap my 250amp controller for the 500amp AND a new motor.
Running the 23's with the kids in mind, what motor would be best suited for hoping for maybe 25mph on flat roads and holding as much of my speed as I can on neighborhood rolling hills? Would the PQ Bandit be more than adequate? Or should I be thinking of spending much more for the next step up? I think it's the Executioner or something like that? Is that the missing piece here? The motor? I'd love to reach a steady 25mph and have enough torque to hold 20 on the hills. I don't have any real desire for any speeds above that. I just want to be able to hold my speed. 12mph on the hills is a little too much loss for me.

Ultimately, If I add a new PQ Bandit will I end up adjusting those settings again on the controller? OR once I get that set, adding a new motor won't require readjusting?

Thanks again guys. You're advice and insight is priceless!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #6
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Sorry bout that, I am a little harsh, but if you are gunna plunge into a new motor, do not get the bandit, k. Get the executioner or search for something else, go big or go home, lol.

You do not want to get disappointed again right?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Sorry bout that, I am a little harsh, but if you are gunna plunge into a new motor, do not get the bandit, k. Get the executioner or search for something else, go big or go home, lol.

You do not want to get disappointed again right?
The guy just dropped $700 on a new controller and other parts. He doesn't want to go over 25mph. The PQ Bandit is a great choice for 25mph and 500 amps is a great match! $225 vs. $590 is quite a difference for someone in the dog house already. However, I do agree with you speed: Go big or go home!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Guys! You're cracking me up now! Go big or go home? haha How about "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!" haha

Stevec, I see you have the 500 Curtis with the Executioner and you're getting 30mph. But you say I can get 25 with the Bandit. Question: Is the 500amp controller ENOUGH juice for the Executioner to perform as it's meant? I thought it called for 600-700amp controllers for normal use?

You're right Speedchaser, I don't want to be disappointed again. It's like going to the dentist and going through the drilling, then when you get to the little toy box to pick your goodie, it's almost empty and only has the leftovers in the bottom that all the other kids passed on. :)

Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CLUB View Post
Guys! You're cracking me up now! Go big or go home? haha How about "if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!" haha

Stevec, I see you have the 500 Curtis with the Executioner and you're getting 30mph. But you say I can get 25 with the Bandit. Question: Is the 500amp controller ENOUGH juice for the Executioner to perform as it's meant? I thought it called for 600-700amp controllers for normal use?

You're right Speedchaser, I don't want to be disappointed again. It's like going to the dentist and going through the drilling, then when you get to the little toy box to pick your goodie, it's almost empty and only has the leftovers in the bottom that all the other kids passed on. :)

Thanks again for your help!
500 amps and the Executioner is a great combo. As a matter of fact, 300 amps is all that motor needs. I will not gain anymore top speed with more amps than 400-500. If you want up to 30+ mph, get the Executioner, if 25 mph is enough, get the Bandit. There are other options out there, but I favor PQ for obvious reasons.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I am just saying that you run the risk of the bandit underperforming on those larger wheels due to torque. There are better motor options than the bandit in my opinion. I make that opinion from what I have read from other who have bandits, the reviews are mainly positive but mixed. Have heard only good about the executioner.

Better off spending 600 now as opposed to 300 now and 600 later.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car