lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Sometim'er
Not Yet Wild

Default 79 ez go internal starter generator

I have a 79 ez go gas 2 cycle robins 244 with an internal starter generator.
When I got it the cart ran great for about 2 days. Had way to oiled down fuel, fouling out plug badly.
Got correct mixture put in tank and it ran great, and Charged great.
Then one day the points stuck shut.
Fixed the points, put it back together and it ran great But........
It no longer charges.
With meter on battery I start at 12.97 dcv
step on gas and run it and it drops to around 11.99dcv and then starts going up but only reaches about 12.05 with high rpm
Checked wires at plug from internal starter generator and have a very similar reading.
Checked voltage regulator... on The B I have a similar reading at the F (I believe) I have a very sporatic reading.
Any help or ideas??
Had NO charging trouble till points stuck.
Sometim'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 79 ez go internal starter generator

Does this have an external voltage regulator with 3 wires?

If so, remove the green wire coming from your generator (remove from the regulator side), and ground it. Then rev it up, and check for voltage across the battery terminals. It should go up around 19 volts.

That's the procedure for checking a 2pg with external starter. I'm assuming yours is similar.

If the voltage climbs, it is a regulator problem. If it doesn't climb, it is a generator problem. Since it is a starter/generator, odds are real good that if it turns over to start, it is also working as a generator.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Sometim'er
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

If so, remove the green wire coming from your generator (remove from the regulator side), and ground it. Then rev it up, and check for voltage across the battery terminals. It should go up around 19 volts.

That's the procedure for checking a 2pg with external starter. I'm assuming yours is similar.

If the voltage climbs, it is a regulator problem. If it doesn't climb, it is a generator problem. Since it is a starter/generator, odds are real good that if it turns over to start, it is also working as a generator.
Ill try it. thinking it's a simple bad wire or wire end somewhere that Im just missing since it worked great till I went in and fixed the points but your test should at least eliminate the voltage regulator from the list.
Yes the starter is working great, brushes are good....
Old 03-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Your points stuck shut. The voltage regulator also has a dual set of points inside. They may have stuck shut at the same time.

I took mine apart, and cleaned everything inside. It's been working since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020229.jpg (109.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020234.JPG (92.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1020225.jpg (121.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Sometim'er
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Your points stuck shut. The voltage regulator also has a dual set of points inside. They may have stuck shut at the same time.

I took mine apart, and cleaned everything inside. It's been working since.
Yep I did also. cleaned all the points and temp plates inside the voltage regulator.
I also have another smaller black box below the regulator that had a set of points and a temp plate that I cleaned also.
Cleaned the F/R plate, cleaned the DBL micro switch that's mounted on the plate...
It still runs great, just doesn't charge.
I was going to try the test I was originally told to try but need to recharge my battery first.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Sometim'er
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

ok so I have to charge my battery first but heres how the wire runs,
green wire from internal generator goes to the DBL micro switch on F/R plate then to the B post on voltage regulator then to a fuse mounted on F/R plate then to battery side of solenoid then to battery.
I have a red 12 gauge wire, a blue, a yellow, and a green 14 gauge wire coming from the internal starter generator.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Does your voltage regulator have 4 wires connecting to it? I read on here somewhere about converting those over to a 3 wire, but I'm not familiar with it. My understanding is that it's impossible to find a 4 wire replacement.

My regulator has 3 wires. The middle connector on mine has the green wire that goes to the generator.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
Sometim'er
Not Yet Wild

I do have 4.
one is a ground.
And yes it has been impossible trying to find one that looks like mine.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm not definite on this regulator,but on the mechanical regulators on cars they needed to be jumped initially(Polarized) to get them to operate.You would jump a wire across 2-terminals quickly,and it would function normally afterwards.It was common to have to redo it if battery power was removed from it for any reason.You would jump from battery to Field on the regulator.Maybe someone else will see this,and verify.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
jeffrun
Gone Wild

If you go to link below,its a bgw thread and has your wiring diagram and test procedure. The second thread by 1989 narathon,ref to manual link. hope this helps,.look in H section.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...r-problem.html
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, wont charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO