lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Chromoly axle

Now that I need to replace the axle on my 2010 RXV, I got to thinking that I'd incorporate a stronger material.
My question to you is : where would be the best source to obtain technical drawings of the ezgo axle so I can have a chromoly pipe cut to specs. Or is there a shop someone recommends. I assume I should probably need to repair both sides of my axle as well. I guess I could also buy a replacement oem with the intent of returning after gathering data.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Chromoly axle

A decent machinist can use your broken one as a pattern assuming you have all the pieces.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs_huntingcart View Post
Now that I need to replace the axle on my 2010 RXV, I got to thinking that I'd incorporate a stronger material.
My question to you is : where would be the best source to obtain technical drawings of the ezgo axle so I can have a chromoly pipe cut to specs. Or is there a shop someone recommends. I assume I should probably need to repair both sides of my axle as well. I guess I could also buy a replacement oem with the intent of returning after gathering data.
Isn't the original axle solid?

I'm not so sure pipe of any kind would be strong enough. Maybe I'm missing something here but on the surface this doesn't sound like something I'd consider
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
A decent machinist can use your broken one as a pattern assuming you have all the pieces.
exactly! appreciate the input. total oversight!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Even if you have one made you will to to have it hardened by a Heat Treat business somewhere ? . and you will need to know the shrink calculation for the heat treat process, possibility even a restraint fixture of some kind to keep it from bowing during the heat treat cycle , its more complicated than you would think .
. take a file (any file) and try to file on your axle , if it dances across it , and dosent even begin to gouge it ,your axle is already made out of some type of Age hardened material .( its a Rockwell thing ) . and the one you have made may not be stronger .
maybe this link about hardness will help ..
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...340-axles.html
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very true. What about looking into axles and axle tube assemblies that are stronger by design and adapting them to your center section, or, what about the old Dana axles used in early golf carts? Anybody breaking those?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah after doing further research on this deal, decided the best option is to replace the axle with stock parts....The alternative isn't worth my time.

Anyone interested in used 2" aluminum spacers??
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO