lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
texasranger225
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 96 engine on my 87 club car

ok....I recieved the FE290 engine today and placed it in the cart. This is what potential problems I see. Please let me know if there are any short cuts to this or wheather I am doing something wrong.

1. the engine does not mount on the orginal holes from the KE82 engine. I guess I will have to drill holes on the engine mount plate?
2. the carborator linkage cable to that went to the black box on the old engine. I believed the cable that came with the FE290 is about 3 inches too short. I do have a mounting bracket for one side of the cable but I cant see where the bracket is installed.
3. the engine is pushed all the way to the back to where it hits the transmission and the clutch to driven clutch belt is too small.
4. there is a small black box in the front of the engine that has some wire hanging....what are those wire and where do I plug them in at.
5. with the engine where it is butting up against the transmission I still have very tight spot to install the air box
6. how do I install the governor solid wire that on my old Ke82 went to the carb linkage.

hope someone can confirm this problems or let me know if there is a better way to fix them.

thank you all in advance
texasranger225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 engine on my 87 club car

The black box is the rev limiter and behind it is the ignitor. You are gonna have to find wiring diagrams for the 96 to know what needs to go where. It doesn't sound like it's gonna be a plug n switch swap..... the new holes for the engine mount need to be slots to allow for 1/2 to 3/4 inch belt adjustment... You want about 1/2" clear from the differential. Once you get the engine placed in the cart you can measure for a belt. Belt size and availability will very much determine where you drill your slots....The belt on your 87 was 15/16ths by 37 1/4" O.D. Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
texasranger225
Getting Wild

Club Car

thanks Scotty, I cant wait to get busy with my engine. I will be in a training seminar work related starting Saturday through wednesday....arggggggggggg...... The engine will have to wait till I get back....I guess I will have several days to think about the install.... thank you for your info, I would have placed that engine butted up against the differential but now that I read your info I realize there is movement in there, so yea I would need some space inbetween. guess I will just get a bigger belt.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=texasranger225;199367]thanks Scotty, I cant wait to get busy with my engine. I will be in a training seminar work related starting Saturday through wednesday....arggggggggggg...... The engine will have to wait till I get back....I guess I will have several days to think about the install.... thank you for your info, I would have placed that engine butted up against the differential but now that I read your info I realize there is movement in there, so yea I would need some space inbetween. guess I will just get a bigger belt.[/QUOTE]

You have to work with what sizes are available..... also check to see that the 2 clutches use the same size belt..... the later clutch used a wider belt.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
texasranger225
Getting Wild

Club Car

oh, so that means I need to find a belt that is maybe an inch bigger then what I have now before I figure where the engine will be mounted? as it is now with the engine butted up against the differential, the belt fits just snug, my other cart's belt is loose and tightens up as the clutch drive closes as the engine revs.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

you will find yourself in front of charts like this

http://www.alpha-sports.com/sled/other/06.htm

and this ....

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...V-Belt%2BGATES

Or whereever else the guys here can sugget?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
texasranger225
Getting Wild

Club Car

darn, maybe I should have just purchased an exact replacement engine. oh...I guess I should look at it as a fun thing to do, instead of hurry up and geterdone!....heheheh....
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
slinghead
Not Yet Wild

go to buggies unlimited and look for wass1967 he has done this same engine change.
Should be able to help with all question you have.
slinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
J&M Golf Carts
Getting Wild

This is a common swap. Club Car offers a conversion kit for this which includes everything needed to convert the KF82 engine to the FE290CCW. The kit includes a new engine mount plate, cables, air box, oil filter adapter, starter/generator bracket and muffler. All instructions are included as well. We offer this conversion kit and it runs $385.00.

If you are interested in this kit or if there is any other information I can offer to help, please feel free to call me toll free at 1 877 385-8600.

Mark

J&M Golf Carts
J&M Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #10
Boris
DELETED

buggies unlimited? You don need no stinkin' buggies unlimited ......... Pay no attention to the newbie Tex ....... Everything you need you can get right here in Buggies Gone Wild.
The best freakin' cart site on the net
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car