lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
talahips
Not Yet Wild

Post G2 conversion to solid state

I bought an 1989 G2 and have issues with the old speed controller/resistor system. I measured the resistor resistance at about 1.2 ohms. The manual says it should be between 0.48 and 0.54. So my assumption is the resistor likely needs to replaced. Rather than spending money on that, I'm thinking about converting speed control to solid state. Anyone have any advise on this? Easy to do? I know there are probably other threads out there but I didn't see anything recent. I attached pictures of the resistor and speed controller.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resister & Solenoid.jpg (175.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Speed Controller.jpg (136.9 KB, 0 views)
talahips is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G2 conversion to solid state

The thing with the Yamaha is nobody made a HD F&R so you must use a reversing contactor when converting to ss. This is definitely a level 3 project. Use my universal conversion kit.
The best way to accomplish a works first try conversion is to literally remove every wire from the cart before the install. There are 2 benefits to doing that.
1. nothing removes confusion and decreases the chance for error like a clean work space.
2. you won't be the guy who contacted me yesterday saying the kit worked for 2 years now nothing! Only to find (hours later) the old key switch wire broke.
I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
talahips
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: G2 conversion to solid state

Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions. Your thoughts about the wiring; are saying remove them all (I assume this is batteries & cables too) just to have a clean workspace or to inspect and replace if needed? (Likely both!)Does your conversion kit require replacement of the solenoid? I should be able to tackle a level 3 project. seems I could use the old bracket from the speed controller/resistor to mount new equipment? The cart is a 36V with regular size tires. What kit do you recommend?
talahips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the wiring means just that. The conversion is a complete different drive system. It is very simple. There are 5 small wires in the set up, these will all be new. The cart needs only supply 36v(+) to a key and then to the new system.
The high amp cables will all change because you have new different components mounted in new locations. This is not a plug and play application. It is a weekend project. The new components can be mounted anywhere. they simply need to be wired per the install diagram. My suggestion is to cluster the components to minimize the connecting cable lengths.
The kit includes a new solenoid.
The new pedal assembly replaces both the speed wiper assembly and the resistor coil pack.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
All the wiring means just that. The conversion is a complete different drive system. It is very simple. There are 5 small wires in the set up, these will all be new. The cart needs only supply 36v(+) to a key and then to the new system.
The high amp cables will all change because you have new different components mounted in new locations. This is not a plug and play application. It is a weekend project. The new components can be mounted anywhere. they simply need to be wired per the install diagram. My suggestion is to cluster the components to minimize the connecting cable lengths.
The kit includes a new solenoid.
The new pedal assembly replaces both the speed wiper assembly and the resistor coil pack.
Do you have an pictures or examples of people who have installed the conversion kit?
rstarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Welcome rstarost!

If you do a search of the forums of solid state conversions, you'll see plenty of examples by members. There have been plenty of builds that showcase Scotty's conversion. Also, check out his site for more information.

www.cartsunlimited.net
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
rstarost
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Welcome rstarost!

If you do a search of the forums of solid state conversions, you'll see plenty of examples by members. There have been plenty of builds that showcase Scotty's conversion. Also, check out his site for more information.

www.cartsunlimited.net
Thanks just started mine
rstarost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, resistor, solid state, speed controller
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha