lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Weird squeak/groan from rear

I hate threads where someone tries to describe a noise but here goes anyway! 2010 G29 with 6 inch lift. The cart has a weird noise that seems to be coming from the right rear. When under power or braking it makes the noise. When coasting, it stops. It's directly related to speed. It sounds like something is hitting or rubbing like there's a high spot somewhere that gets contacted as the axle rotates. It's not anything visible like a tire or anything and almost sounds like a cable being rubbed inside the axle housing somewhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
Noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Weird squeak/groan from rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I hate threads where someone tries to describe a noise but here goes anyway! 2010 G29 with 6 inch lift. The cart has a weird noise that seems to be coming from the right rear. When under power or braking it makes the noise. When coasting, it stops. It's directly related to speed. It sounds like something is hitting or rubbing like there's a high spot somewhere that gets contacted as the axle rotates. It's not anything visible like a tire or anything and almost sounds like a cable being rubbed inside the axle housing somewhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking would be helpful.
I have a 2009 G29 that does the same thing. I would describe it as a squeaking or squealing maybe. Sometimes I can accelerate a little and it stops but then it's a cat and mouse game. It definitely is annoying and I can't find out what it is. I've had the rear end fluid replaced and the bushing replaced but it still persists. I'm interested in any feedback you get.
cclontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Not much so far as you can see. I'm going to bring the cart home next time I go to the camper and change the diff fluid and pull the wheel to see if I can find anything.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

When is the last time you replaced the transaxle fluid? Yamaha recommends every 2 yrs, with Yamalube Friction Modified Gear Oil. If it has been a while, try that first. It is very critical to the internal brakes. If someone has replaced it with synthetic oil without the friction adder, you would probably get some noise from them. It takes 1.43qts so you will need two.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingEye3 View Post
When is the last time you replaced the transaxle fluid? Yamaha recommends every 2 yrs, with Yamalube Friction Modified Gear Oil. If it has been a while, try that first. It is very critical to the internal brakes. If someone has replaced it with synthetic oil without the friction adder, you would probably get some noise from them. It takes 1.43qts so you will need two.
Thanks very much. It was a fleet car that I just got, so it's very likely it has never been done I would guess.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Might also check the axle nuts, if the get loose the steel collar can squeek. Check the axle bearings for any play also.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Agreed with Small Block. Reach down between the wheel and transaxle and see if you can spin that tube by hand... if so it is the axle nut for sure. I used to have a slight noise due to that tube being loose and when I tightened that axle nut to 75 ft/lbs it went away. Worth a shot
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks fellas. I'm hoping between checking my nuts (haha! yeah so I'm 12 years old!) And servicing the diff I'll be good to go. Ill post results back here. Probably won't be able to get the cart home until next week. So it looks like it can just use 75w90 gear lube with a friction modifier for limited slip diffs?

Old 08-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
JakeJones8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yes Sir! I used Mobile 1 75w-90 that I got at Oriley's (You will need two bottles because the cart will take about 1 and a quarter or so). Even though it states that it as friction modifier mixed in, I added the 4oz of Limited Slip Supplement (also from Oriley's) just to be safe!

Also, because I see your cart is lifted 6" like mine, I would recommend draining the cart while it is on the ground since it is already tilted back toward the drain hole. However, when it comes time to fill you have to jack the back WAY up to get the transaxle level before you put the oil in otherwise you will never get enough.

Lastly, give it a good 5 minutes of driving before you judge the noise. gives the new stuff plenty of time to lube all the parts (childish joke just for you).

(pictures of products attached)
***Sidenote*** can any other members PM me how to get the pictures in text instead of attached? thanks ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot.JPG (28.0 KB, 0 views)
JakeJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Noneck
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJones8 View Post
Yes Sir! I used Mobile 1 75w-90 that I got at Oriley's (You will need two bottles because the cart will take about 1 and a quarter or so). Even though it states that it as friction modifier mixed in, I added the 4oz of Limited Slip Supplement (also from Oriley's) just to be safe!

Also, because I see your cart is lifted 6" like mine, I would recommend draining the cart while it is on the ground since it is already tilted back toward the drain hole. However, when it comes time to fill you have to jack the back WAY up to get the transaxle level before you put the oil in otherwise you will never get enough.

Lastly, give it a good 5 minutes of driving before you judge the noise. gives the new stuff plenty of time to lube all the parts (childish joke just for you).

(pictures of products attached)
***Sidenote*** can any other members PM me how to get the pictures in text instead of attached? thanks ha
Haha! Cool thanks for the tip! ...ahem.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha