lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Powerwise charger problem

I have a 2002 EZGO 36V golf cart that I just replaced the batteries on a month ago. I replaced the original trojan batteries with new ones, replaced all the battery cables with fresh 2 Ga cables. The cart runs good but when I plug in the charger nothing happens. I read some other posts about the charger and did some troubleshooting. First I jumpered across the relay and the charger came on (replaced the relay), same result (jumpered across the new one, charger came on). Next I ordered a control board. Received it tonight, installed it. Nothing. I checked the diodes and broke one of the leads off so I will have to replace them tomorrow and the fuse is good. I am at a loss.... The battery voltage across the pack is 36.6V and charger does not come on.
bkerns925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Powerwise charger problem

Did you re-install the wires from the charger socket to the batteries when you switched everything out?
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

I think I found the source of the problem. seems that the plug was not mating very well (if at all) in the socket so there was no voltage making it to the charger from the battery pack. I took it all apart and checked everything now I have voltage at the charger so it should be good. I'll pick up another set of diodes tomorrow since I broke one of the tabs off the other one and put it back together. Hopefully it will all function when I am done.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

Angry Re: EZGO Powerwise charger problem

OK. So I had a new tab soldered back on to the diodes, reinstalled everything and plugged it in. NADA. Measured the voltage at the transformer in the charger with it off (37.65V). If I jumper across the relay on the control board the charger will come on. This is the same problem I had when I initially started down this road. Any ideas? What is this reed switch that I keep hearing about or is that another Rabbit hole?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Take a volt meter set on continuity and check the cables going from plug end to charger. Check all three. I had one that had a bad spot in the cord. The reed is inside the cart in the plug in box. Take the three screws out and it's the red small wire. Make sure you have all the wires hooked up also.
I don't think you can solider the diodes back on. I maybe wrong but I don't know what you would have solider to.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

Continuity is good on all the cables. I checked the pack voltage all the way back to the transformer(37.65v). If the diodes were bad would it still come on once I jumped across the relay? I am at a loss.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
jbutches
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My powerwise charger will never shut off. It has voltage at all times, I normally plug it in overnight and unplug it in the morning. I found where I can order parts for it. Does anyone know what part for the charger to order?
jbutches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like your relay might be shorted or some other issue on the timing circuit. It is the exact opposite from what I had.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
bkerns925
Not Yet Wild

I found the source of my gremlins. It turned out to be the center wire (red) on the charging plug was not mating with the negative charging prong on the cart. Evidently that wire provides a ground reference from the cart back to the charger to complete the circuit. When I pulled the plug apart to clean the brass contacts with a wire brush it got crimped and was not seating properly on the negative prong causing the charger to never come on but when you measured across the wires all was good.

Bit of a doozie for my first problem but it works now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO