lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Need parts info for g14

I am going to put some new rings and bearings in my 1996 G14A after the hunting season is over here . My cart S/N is JN3211818 so you know it is a 1996. I have conflicting info for this cart as for part numbers and the cc of the motor. My service manual says it is suppose to be a 300cc but on some sites states it is a 301cc. Parts might interchange but don't know .

I have already pulled the head and put new valves,springs,seals, and lapped the valves which got my compression back to 170. It just smokes too much on start up so oil ring is gone . Reason for new rings. When I had the head off there was no marking on top of piston and cylinder looked good. I am not sure if it is a standard or not . There are three different sizes in some parts lists so I need to know for sure when ordering . I guess measuring is the only way to know. Also there is three size rod bearing to choose from . How would I know which of these is right .

Cart runs great . Have put a lot of money in to it with Plowman's performance kit,new starter -gen,solenoid,reworking head,light kit.

So I need some advice on the right part numbers so I don't go wrong. I saw a parts rebuild list on here for this motor before but can't find it in search.

any info appreciated
BamaG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Need parts info for g14

All oversize pistons are marked ".25, .50", ect on top. Also there should be an arrow on the piston to indicate direction. Yours is stock. It is a 301cc. There is no 300 in that engine series. Unfortunatly, the paint marking inside the engine is usually not legible anymore to determine correct rod bearing. You should order 2 of all three sizes (only 1/2 bearing per package). Then use plastigauge to determine which is correct. Fortunately they are only about $5 each.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks CG I was just going by my manual on the 300cc spec. I will have to look closer at piston when I get it out for an arrow. Didn't see one when I had the head off. I will mark piston and rod before they come out as to the direction.Tell me about the plasti gauge . I don't remember ever using it on autos. How exactly do you use it ?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Its a strip of soft plastic, almost like wax. You take a small piece and put it across the bearing, then torque the rod to spec. Then remove it and compare it to its package to see the clearence based on how much it "squishes". Just be sure not to turn anything at all while torquing bolts (other than bolts), the shearing force would distort your readings. Buying a manual is the smartest thing you can do if you plan on doing any work at all on your cart.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Looks like that's handy stuff to have...

http://www.plastigaugeusa.com/
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
BamaG14
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Still confused as to engine cc's whether a 300 or 301. Does it really matter if parts interchangeable ? My manual says 300 but could have been printed in 1995. Have found on some sites it is a 301. Where did the 1cc come in to play? Most parts outlets only list the g14AP not stating a engine size so it might not matter which it is .

Sorry for the ?'s just stuck in my head wondering.

This is off yamaha site

Yamaha G-14 Model (Ultima) Golf Car

A new larger engine (300 cc) and a longer and wider stance than earlier models made the G-14 the ultimate golf car, hence the name Ultima. The G-14 was the first golf car to have a 360° body protection system (Yamaha's Sentry Wraparound Protection System™) and blow-molded 5 mph impact-resistant front and rear bumpers.

Yamaha G-11 Model (Yamahauler) Utility Vehicle

The next generation G-11 featured a larger 301 cc motor and a impact-resistant front bumper.

Yamaha G-16 Model (Ultima) Golf Car

The G-16 was the next generation Ultima model. Improvements included an improved 301cc engine, a re-designed primary clutch and 4 factory available body colors.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

There should be a block casting number that reads JN5, if it's a G14
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha