lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
garrettgrant
Not Yet Wild

Default Radio install in golf ball holder

I have 2008 PDS. I have been looking for threads about installing a radio unit into the golf ball holder. I have not found any real instructions. Does the dash have to be removed? If not, how do you secure the radio in the slot? How do you run the wires from the back of the unit to the power source? Does anything else have to be removed on the cart to get access for the wires from the back of the radio unit?

Thanks
garrettgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Radio install in golf ball holder

No you do not have to remove the dash. Most CD players have a cage with metal tabs that bend around the outer edge and hold the unit in place. I took a dremmel and cut a little at a time until the cage fit snug and bent the tabs around. As far as running the wires, remove the cup holder by prying out with a flat head screwdriver and you will be able to get to the back of the radio. If I had to do it again though, I would just buy a small amplifier and put a 3.5mm jack in the dash and run my phone or MP3 player direct.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I removed the cupholder to run the power and speaker leads. I used a hacksaw blade pinched between my fingers to trim the holder tabs for the radio chassis. I ran the leads under the floormat.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
garrettgrant
Not Yet Wild

Hey Bmatlock

Can you give some better detail on your proposed set up? I really have no interest in the radio but just want to use an ipod or flash drive with music.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sure, just search eBay for "3.5 dash mount kit" then use this to run direct to any amplifier. There are some really cheap mini amps on eBay for $50 or less, or Rockford fosgate sells a nice mini amp PBR300x2 for around $130. Put another switch on your dash to turn the amp on and off and you're set.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
garrettgrant
Not Yet Wild

So who hook the device up to an amp, plug speakers into the amp, hook up a power supply and your good to go?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettgrant View Post
So who hook the device up to an amp, plug speakers into the amp, hook up a power supply and your good to go?
Yep, that's all there is to it. If you need any more help I can explain more in detail tomorrow. I'm typing all of this on my phone right now.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
garrettgrant
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. This seems to simple??
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I promise that's all there is to it, just make sure when you first hook it up to turn the gains all the way down on the amp then set accordingly, otherwise it may be very loud.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
garrettgrant
Not Yet Wild

I noticed some of the mini amps on ebay have a "front" so to speak with on/off and volume controls, some even with flash drive access. I assume you could mount these just like a radio unit? and then add the 3.5 mount next to it?

No need to answer tonight but any thoughts on what to use to make a faceplate that can be installed in the golf ball holder section to hold these items?

Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO