lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default OBC/Carger Question

I have a 99 club car and it is a 48 volt system and the have is I had a bad battery so I replaced the one battery for now. I have 49 volts across the pack and I know it needs to be charged to around 51-53 volts for it to have a full pack put when I plug in my charger it click on but the Ammeter bounces for a few seconds then it stops but the charge is still humming (softly) like it is still on. when I unplug the charge it stops. I have tried resetting the obc that didn't work, I then jumped the grey wire to the negative and battery and the charger cut one the exact same way as it has been. so now im stuck the pack never comes up and the cart itself runs great, can drive all over the place. also I have tried the charger on another cart and it worked great so it cant be the charger. any ideas of what could be going on.

Also I can charge the battery individually and they will rise to 8.5-8.7 there is no more vagrancy than that in the batteries.
cfstokes55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: OBC/Carger Question

does a different charger work on your cart ?
check the cart side wiring ( gray wire especially), clean the receptacle , make sure cables are tight on batteries

from charger manual

Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

haven't tried another charger on mine yet, but I have gone over the wires red, black, grey all over and the battery wires, the ends or clean and so are the post on the battery. I am replacing the wires this afternoon so hopefully that works. but now my charger works on other carts, but I still will pick up my friends and try it, never know this carts can be funny some times.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
crash test dummy

check the fuse link ?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

To me it sounds like a battery is shorted and reading double voltage. I have had several 12 volt batteries in my precedent fleet that when off the charger batteries read fine but soon as the charger kicks on a battery is reading double voltage throwing the ammeter all crazy and dropping to zero. This may or may not be it but I'd check voltage while on charger. My carts would read 49 volts ish off charger then soon as it kicks on jump straight up to 59 volts or so. Because one battery is reading double voltage and is shorted. It's at least a thought anyway
birdleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok I have an update but its not really a helpful one. I replaced all the wires on the battery's and the fuse coming from the charging port. also the ends from the charging point. basically every wire end that was left on the cart I cleaned or replaced them also. plugged the charger in and still the same thing. so I drove the cart until it wouldn't go anymore. plugged the charger in and it went to working. charged up to around 49 volts, I know this is not a full pack, and then did the same thing where it hums but doesn't show that it is charging. now I am guessing that the battery's are just not able to hold a charge anymore than 49 so witch means I will have to replace them. dose this sound right or would you think I could have some thing else going on, battery's aren't cheap.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
birdleg
Not Yet Wild

Once more. Check the voltage while the charger is running then post on here.
birdleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just checked the batteries while it was trying to charge, the one that have replaced it reads around 8.7 and all the rest are around 7.9 to 8.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfstokes55 View Post
around 7.9 to 8.
yep bad batteries
Old 07-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
cfstokes55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

it was the batteries replaced them and works great, bought crown batteries this time instead of Trojan maybe I will get longer than two years out of them. sorry I asked so many question to find out what I was afraid of the whole time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car