lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Unplanned Yamaha GMAX build ...

The whole thing started when I was out dropping off a Carryall 2 that I had flipped, and I got a call from a friend at an area dealer, seems they had taken in 4 2006 GMAX carts from a local developer who had purchased them new, very low hours and a hard-to-resist price ... Well Heck, I figured I had a pocket full of money and a trailer (and was only 15min away) so I went and took a look, ended up bringing one home

Being as I had just installed a LT kit on my personal "Go-To" EZGO, I had an almost unused set of Fairway Alloy Bullets with 205/30-14's sitting around, so I threw them on and realized that there was going to need to be a bit of modification done to get them to actually work on the cart

At this point, I made a few calls and scored a RHOX 4" lift through a horsetrade, so the cart went up a few inches instead of cutting the frame and screwing around with the new-style front-end (which really left no option other than some sort of Spindle lift) ... The RHOX kit is definitely a route I'll never go again, but that's for another thread ...

So the next move was to take a look at the unbelievably stiff read suspension, luckily I had recently ordered a set of Nitrogen Shocks off Fleabay to play with in another LT rear end I was working on - Imagine my surprise when I realized I could eliminate the rear RHOX lift entirely and replace it with the shocks as a direct bolt-on and get the same lift, only with adjustable preload and a MUCH nicer ride with about an extra 3" of travel! On went the new shocks after pulling the RXOX lift bar and after a test drive, I was SOLD on the plan!

So after all the requisite inspections and adjustments, cleaning and tuning, etc I decided to give Don a call at Plowmans (I have almost always defaulted to his "Hot Setups" with every Yamaha I end up messing with, they just work so well) so of course, the next few days were spent waiting for the parts, etc and getting it all together

While I was waiting to get it all together, I went ahead and ordered a set of 8:1 gears and started looking towards putting some tunes in the cart, I ended up with a set of Wakeboard Speakers and a 600W Bluetooth-enabled Marine Amp which worked out insanely well, the amp fit under the dash (front side of the firewall) just fine, and the Bluetooth Module / Controls ended up being a PERFECT fit in one of the unused cupholders

So again - back to waiting for the gears, etc to arrive - and boredom set in as it always does with these things, LOL ... Ended up scuffing, prepping, and bedlining the top, then after a silly incident involving misaligning things due to the precision effects of alcohol, decided to cut a bit here and there and rake the top - and this is more or less where it sits for now.

Without the 8:1's installed yet (and with brand new clutches, spring, belt, etc so not even beginning to break in) she's running 34.5mph on pavement all day long - I'm hoping the gears arrive yet today so I can get them in tonight, get the valves, etc all adjusted tomorrow AM and see what she will really do. For a grand total of under $3k (not counting the rims and tires) I am quite happy with the results thus far... The body is in great shape so I'm still on the fence whether or not to paint it - if the rain hits like they are saying and I can't spend the day tomorrow driving and tuning, I may take a ride to another dealer I work with who's about 2hrs away, he has a couple of takeoff G22 bodies in Black that I can score for a LOT less than new paint (especially if I trade mine) so that will likely make up my mind FOR me.

Oh - almost forgot until I was typing this, I have a couple of new Equus 8068's laying around, probably should dig one out and install it - now to figure out which box those extra Steering Wheels are in and see if I have a Yami Adapter laying around ... Gotta LOVE "Budget Builds" that sneak up on You
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Unplanned Yamaha GMAX build ...

Oops - almost forgot, I also had a nice 180w LED Bar from another cart project laying around, this pic was during the test-fitting but it actually sits well on this cart so it's going on when all is said and done ...

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!