lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
BULL MOOSE
Not Yet Wild

Default Must choke EZGO Robins every time

I have a 99 ezgo with 295 robins engine.

Ever sine I got it, I have to choke engine for every start. It doesnt matter if the engine is hot, I must pull the choke every time. I just want to know what that means and maybe what should be adjusted.

I also have another problem now where it just want start at all and trying to work through some of the treads to figure it out.

Lot of smart folks on here...all I can do is read and watch YouTube videos. But i am learning. I now know how a vacuum fuel pump works!

Thanks!
BULL MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Must choke EZGO Robins every time

I think you will be interested in this video by Kevin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkmAxUU-TIY

Since the link doesn't show it, the video is about adjusting the valves.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
BULL MOOSE
Not Yet Wild

That is a great video and was my next step! I watched it a few weeks ago.

Who knew I could buy some tools at Harbor Freight To check compression and adjust valves. I told my dad about what I leaned from watching a YouTube video and he was amazed because he knows that I never paid attention while holding the flashlight when he messed with carburateurs on old 70’s family cars.

I basically ruled out the fuel pump, hoses seem fine, air filter could be changed, drained fuel out of bottom of bowl with that little screw, and tried to star by spraying starter fluid into carb.

I watched other videos on checking spark plug firing and coil and removed an tested the plugs and can see weak yellow sparks. Coil seemed to be working. One gap is larger than the other and I can’t find the gap checker that I have not used in 15 years. I used some sand paper on plugs and reinstalled.

Cart started immediately and now even starts without the choke! Runs great! I think it could have been a combination of things, but I am ordering some new spark plugs today! Love this site and all the helpful advice.

This cart evidently is a collage of parts! It was converted from electric to gas by someone. It looks great, but it might be easier for me to just upgrade batteries every few years. I had intended to use at hunting lease each fall, but now we are just driving around the neighborhood.

Oh, and it backfires! Scares folks....lol. What causes backfiring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38BD2ED4-E305-4247-9B35-9C4EE126A41E.jpg (23.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Usually backfiring is caused by the throttle plate in the carb not closing all the way when the gas pedal is released. Check to make sure it closes fully
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
BULL MOOSE
Not Yet Wild

Ok...may have to live with that. I’m almost afraid to ss it’s it now.

Looked under sponsors to see if I might order plugs there before ordering fr Amazon. I did not see list.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just get the spark plugs local, any auto parts store should have them in stock. NGK BP4ES they're about $3 each.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO