lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
n3phf2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 48v club car intermittent run

2001 48 volt electric club car serial number AA0133-051701 . About 2 years ago, I changed the motor and controller and put a lift kit on it. Ran good for 2 years. Intermittent run now. The solenoid will click, but it does not move. There is voltage on both sides of solenoid when it clicks and 48 getting to controller. No TOW switch. I was thinking throttle. I traced the voltage to the throttle control box under the cart, and had input volts, and when probing the other wires, it started to run. SO I cleaned the plug and a week later the same thing. I replaced the throttle control block, and a few weeks later, the same thing. I do not have a wiring for this cart. It has no tow switch. If anyone knows of this problem or if anyone has a color code with voltage chart so I can check the throttle volts at the controller instead of moving wires around. It is so intermittent and I can not make it break once it runs. Maybe controller, but not sure. I would like to be sure. If there is a flow chart or troubleshooting manual around, I am sure it would help. I have electronics background repairing electronic equipment for 40 years. Just lost on a cart. I am sure the colors of the wires may be universal, but I do not know them . Thanks for any input. I can let the cart sit a day, it may run. I can go back to the cart in an hour and it may run. The again, it may not. I do not think it is heat related. Greg Kerr
n3phf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 48v club car intermittent run

Have you looked in the stickies for you carts wiring diagram?
is your controller flashing trouble codes red or is it a solid green after inutial power up?
are connections tight at f&r, motor and batts?
if you changed the mcor what you refer to as the throttle control box is it the latest mcor 4?
Hopefully sergio or tahoedawg sees this or u can pm them...they can get u running
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
n3phf2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well today it quit and stayed no run. On the controller, tere is 3 smaller wires. Top one was 50 when power on solenoid keyed, the next one was 7.5 all the time after solenoid keys, and the bottom one from the throttle varied from 1.5 up to 6 as I push the peddle. This was when the cart was running. Then with meter in hand, i went for a ride. It quit. The volts on all 3 of the smaller wires were the same condition. 50. 7.5 and the last one varied as I pushed the peddle. the + and - were 50 v, and no motor - or no output. I am sure to myself that the controller is intermittent now. Did I miss anything? Looks simple , the key was getting it to quit and have meter.. ANy more idea's?

Greg
Old 11-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well i asked jf you checked all connections tightness because it happens.

Last week my daughter was stranded and i thought no way. New cables, motor, fr, solenoid, controller etc and runs great for a couple years. what could go wrong?

I got on cart sure enough no go, cycled micros, checked batts, cycled fr and nada....then checked cables at fr and put it in forward and tapped pedal. Walla the small 5/16 screws were loose, did my best ti tighten and propped the 2awg cables to stay and she drove it the 2 miles home. Something so simple.

I cant suggest any tests to run so we need to get one the guys i mentioned above or another techinician
Old 11-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #5
3Ds
Not Yet Wild

Hi Greg, I have the same problem with a 02 DS. It is a series as well.
I've followed the diagnostics in the service manual and found everything to be ok until the controller.
There should be pack voltage from the small red wire to B-
There should be pack voltage across B- to B+
When in forward or reverse (disconnect A2 from the motor so it doesn't run over you) there should be pack voltage between B+ and M- when you first step on the pedal and as you push the pedal it should reduce to zero.

This is where mine fails. I have half of pack voltage between B+ and M- which when will reduce to zero by pressing the pedal. I'm trying to figure out if a diode is shot in the controller. I have an Alltrax NPX4844
3Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
3Ds
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ds View Post
Hi Greg, I have the same problem with a 02 DS. It is a series as well.
I've followed the diagnostics in the service manual and found everything to be ok until the controller.
There should be pack voltage from the small red wire to B-
There should be pack voltage across B- to B+
When in forward or reverse (disconnect A2 from the motor so it doesn't run over you) there should be pack voltage between B+ and M- when you first step on the pedal and as you push the pedal it should reduce to zero.

This is where mine fails. I have half of pack voltage between B+ and M- which when will reduce to zero by pressing the pedal. I'm trying to figure out if a diode is shot in the controller. I have an Alltrax NPX4844
I forgot to mention all of these tests are done after disconnecting the A2 from the motor, the key on, and with the pedal depressed with forward or reverse selected to activate the solenoid.
Cheers
3Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
n3phf2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, when it quits, the only voltage I am missing is the M-. All the rest are the same if it is running or not. I took the controller out It is D&D 4865. I see a computer serial port on it, but I have no clue how to test it. I think I did bt seeing no outpiut on the M-. The is a LED on the controller. I do not see it light at all, maybe in the dark it would but I can not see it lite, running or not, the same condition. Thanks for all you inputs, I think it it controller time unless someone has a clue on an outside problem shutting the controller down.

Greg
Old 11-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
n3phf2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I got some information from the Alltrex contoller support, From B+ to B- is 48 volts. At Pin 1 from B- volts should be 48v. Pin 2 will be 7 volts at solenoid click and hold there. Pin 3 will go down as throttle pushed. Pins 2 and 3 should be 5 volts between them when the solenoid clicks and first pushed slow and go to 0 as throttle is pushed. The Throttle is a variable resistor. To test, you take the pin 2 and 3 wires off the controller, there should be 14 v with no load at the controller terminals and solenoid click, the controller throttle circuit is working. . When the Throttle is hooked back in, it takes the volts that is now 7v on pin 2 and pin 3 is 5 volts down to 0 volts at full throttle. It takes pin 3 closer to ground as you push the throttle causing the volts to go from 5 to 0 when the cart throttle resistor is working. Then the control and controller are good. So, Then M- to B- should be 48 volts between them at solenoid click and as you push the throttle, the volts go down to 0. If that is working, controller ok. Look at the forward reverse switch for the next cause.. I am going to do all this next time it breaks and I will let you all know what I find. I am thinking now, the forward/Reverse switch or the controller. I now have doubt. Lots of currant there at the fwd/rev switch. All wires are tight. I took the controller out and cleaned the terminals. All is good today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.
We will see.
Greg
Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
n3phf2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I replaced the controller with a 700Amp one from Buggies Unlimited. It was a replacement and not the Alltrax. I am very happy to report it works fine. It also pulls out much smoother than the Alltrax. GE item 586 for $449. Thanks for everyone's help. I drove the cart around with 2 volt meters hooked up to watch the voltages. It was intermittent as heck. All is good now.
Greg.. Learning the hard way!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Glad you got it running. Too bad it was the controller.

Tags
faster motor, lift kit, upgrade contoler
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car