lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
Fireball9298
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default South Carolina street use from out of state

Looking for knowledgeable people on this. I live in North Carolina and my father has a house at the beach in South Carolina. Is it possible for me to legally get my cart on the road there if I bring it with me? I want to enjoy mine rather than my father's turded out model. I can't really find anything about this on Google. Also I see LSV have the advantage of being able to drive at night and not being tied to a 4 mile radius from registration address. So I'm thinking I need to make it an LSV somehow but I read in multiple legal SCDMV documents that said you can't modify a golf cart to make it a LSV. HOWEVER I have a neighbor who somehow got his golfcart registered as a LSV and he trailers it to SC and has no issue.... He doesn't have property there either.... I'd just ask him but he's a BS'r and doesn't like to talk and be helpful. Please help, thanks
Fireball9298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: South Carolina street use from out of state

If the SC community where his beach house is located allows golf carts, all you have to have is proof of insurance to drive on local streets with 35MPH or less speed limits from sunrise to sunset. Driving on US and State highways is not allowed. You can cross them but not drive on them. Lights and turn signals are a plus but not required. Here's the rules for North Myrtle Beach,

http://www.nmb.us/files/pdf/uploads/...20Revision.pdf

I've looked into the LSV conversion. There's a lot of questions I couldn't get answered. I gave up. My next cart will be an LSV
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Fireball9298
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

It says I have to have a permit. How can I get a permit if I don't have a SC address
Fireball9298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I have read this SC thing before and it makes no sense at all to me.

On its face it is saying a SC resident living in (pick a city/town) with a PERMITTED cart cannot use the cart anywhere more than 4 miles away from his/her residence. So, if a resident of SC wants to use his/her cart in Myrtle Beach, and that person lives more than 4 miles away he/she cannot use it.

An out of state person travelling to Myrtle Beach CANNOT have his/her cart permitted.

Having said that, the State of South Carolina can't force an out of State owner of a car (automobile) to have the car "permitted" to drive on their roads. This would violate not only the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, but other things too numerous to mention.

I see no logical difference.

I can't give you advice as to what to do, but I know what I would do.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think anyone will say a word to you if you have proof of insurance. I see people hauling them up and down the highway all the time. The insurance proof I believe is key.

Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would think that you could register it in SC at your fathers address. Get that sticker and insurance and should be good to go for daytime.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
pacman377
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I live in SC and we go to Pawleys Island every summer. On my registration I have my address and the address of the beach house at Pawleys. The application states, "Additional Operating Address:" you dont need proof of residence or anything just a address on the registration. I would assume you could put the other address on your current out of state registration then you should be completely covered. The main thing they want to see is the registration sticker on the windshield.
pacman377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Depends on where you are in SC on how bad they care about that blue sticker. I have all of mine registered and have stickers for all of them. They are in my truck glovebox. In MB and other areas they watch much closer. If you have insurance just go register it at your dad’s address. $5 later you have your sticker
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!