lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
abertx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default A cold beer Marathon with loads of

I introduced myself and my $200 cart, Basketcase, a little while back. I was asked for pitchers, err, pictures. I'll try to provide a few here and there.

My goal at this point is to make Basketcase a little more presentable so my son can drive her to his 3rd grade prom in a few months. Or, so I can just drive it around the neighborhood and pull my jetskis around the yard.

The vitals: 1989 Marathon 36v with a diamond plate "truck bed", for lack of more descriptive terms. This cart was originally owned by Homelite and still has the "property of" tag on it. Don't call the police on me, please.

This afternoon, the spirit of Bud Light told me to disassemble this thing and try to clean it up. **** beer creates loads of projects for me, like the crown moulding I still haven't finished 3 years later.

Bonus: my son got to use a grinder for the first time. I'd say today was a success even though all I did was tear the roof an bed off.

Let's get long-winded and random as hell.

My crazy Canadian (redundant?) neighbor and I were trying to figure out a way to mount a trailer ball on the back of this thing. Well, a dozen beers later, we chopped up an engine hoist, welded it in between two support bars ,and now I have a cart that will pull right around 2200 pounds of jet skis and trailer (2 Sea Doo RXT-X skis and the double trailer). No sag, no bends, just crappy welds and trailer-pulling goodness.

SO far, this thing has paid for itself time and time again. I moved 5 yards of dirt this week and it ran great.

Since pictures were requested, I'll try to post a few here in an edit. Multiple devices and all that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190809_181335.jpg (238.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190809_181349.jpg (217.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190719_155908.jpg (176.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190809_214803.jpg (187.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190809_214816.jpg (233.9 KB, 0 views)
abertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
abertx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A cold beer Marathon with loads of WTF

OK, kids. Don't laugh at my welds. They're holding strong so far. The vertical "beam" is the remnant from an engine hoist. Harbor Freight, most likely, so failure is imminent.

Now the roof is off. I've recruited my 8-year old for some child labor to do a little grinding to remove the rust that was present on the supports. I had to fire him because he was about to grind through the whole thing. I'm still tickled pink that he tried and actually had fun.

More rambling......

The wife and I were in WalMart and I saw a sign. It said LED light strips for $4.83. Naturally, I bought 3 of them. There's the glow. Two USB-powered LED light strips that were 6.5' long. A few beers and a couple zip ties, and, boom, ballin' on a budget.

Well, I'm off to sand and repaint the same piece of metal 15 times because I don't have the right materials. I'll eventually get it right. Maybe. The goal is to repaint the roof supports and the roof so it doesn't look so bad. The supports were scratched all to hell and the roof was so nasty it just wouldn't come clean.

I'm figuring on a Shelby-inspired paint job; blue with white stripes.....until I get too lazy and just paint it all the same color, rattle-can, of course.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Welcome eh.

Keep us informed on the project.

Question: Will they son need to take the jet skis to the prom? One for him and one for his date?

Love the shelby blue with white stripes. Look for cheap Cobra decals/emblems to make mr shelby proud.

I have some other things going on, but hope to get to my recently aquired 91 marathon.

Good luck and again welcome.
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by abertx View Post
My goal at this point is to make Basketcase a little more presentable so my son can drive her to his 3rd grade prom in a few months.

This afternoon, the spirit of Bud Light told me to disassemble this thing and try to clean it up. **** beer creates loads of projects for me, like the crown moulding I still haven't finished 3 years later.
Huh... 3rd grade prom is a thing now?!?!?!?
Apparently the spirit of Bud Light and Busch Light are very similar! I guess that makes sense, they are related...

Looks like you are making progress. I'll look forward to reading more of your stories!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
abertx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Not real sure theres a 3rd grade prom but i would rather be prepared just in case.

I've got the seat backs off finally. 2 friendly cockroaches scurried out of their former home. After one tried to run up my shorts, and I punched myself in the balls, the pair are no more (the roaches). The seat backs were rotting and gave off the lovely aroma of 20-year old trash grease. Being in rental properties for 20 years, it didn't bother me too much. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Rear roof supports are painted and clear-coated. Seat supports are almost done. New rear seat cushions on the way from a site sponsor.

Next steps are removing the front plastic and sanding the old paint. I am likely going to paint the underside of the cart with rattle can truck bed liner. The thought process is it will be more durable than regular spray paint.

While I've got the front apart I plan to throw a lift on it. If anyone can point me towards a cheap kit, I'd be appreciative. It might even get you a nice 5x7 glossy photo. ;)

I still need to correct the suspension lean and steering slop. Much to do. Little motivation.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by abertx View Post
Not real sure theres a 3rd grade prom but i would rather be prepared just in case.

I've got the seat backs off finally. 2 friendly cockroaches scurried out of their former home. After one tried to run up my shorts, and I punched myself in the balls, the pair are no more (the roaches). The seat backs were rotting and gave off the lovely aroma of 20-year old trash grease. Being in rental properties for 20 years, it didn't bother me too much. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Rear roof supports are painted and clear-coated. Seat supports are almost done. New rear seat cushions on the way from a site sponsor.

Next steps are removing the front plastic and sanding the old paint. I am likely going to paint the underside of the cart with rattle can truck bed liner. The thought process is it will be more durable than regular spray paint.

While I've got the front apart I plan to throw a lift on it. If anyone can point me towards a cheap kit, I'd be appreciative. It might even get you a nice 5x7 glossy photo. ;)

I still need to correct the suspension lean and steering slop. Much to do. Little motivation.
Get started! That prom is just around the corner!

Lift kit 4" $69.80

I'm not promoting ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Block-Lif...l/173856083898
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay lift kit.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I started a review and ordered some parts for my 91 36V.

New battery trays. Passengers side was tough to find.

The steering only worked partially. From left to right it would only turn partially. Then I would have to grab the wheels and pull them partially. And steering returns to normal. I took apart the steering rack and it looks like a dental problem. Some bad teeth. So that rack is on the way also.

I'm having an awful time removing the castle nut on the passengers rear brake. It just won't budge. It's weird. The drum, and other parts look fine. No rust. I'm just using my 15/16 socket and hand ratchet. I need to finish the brake assessment. They don't grab currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190816_133633.jpg (187.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:12 AM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

Great thread, looking forward to following!
Love the "sideways" pictures as well.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Try to borrow an impact wrench to remove nut.
If not use breaker bar in place of ratchet or short piece of pipe for leverage.
Never seize threads before assembly😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Try to borrow an impact wrench to remove nut.
If not use breaker bar in place of ratchet or short piece of pipe for leverage.
Never seize threads before assembly��
Thanks.

I wasn't able to get a "cost effective" impact wrench today. I did get the breaker bar at walmart. It included 4 sockets and the bar is extendable. $16 + tax. It gave this old guy the muscle to move that crown bolt. It looks good inside. The brake pads separated of from the shoe. (If that's the terminology.) They will be replaced.

Now I need to examine the cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190818_123247.jpg (294.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190818_123325.jpg (164.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190818_123237.jpg (202.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190818_123223.jpg (113.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190818_123259.jpg (129.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO