lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: HEI Conversion SUCCESS

I suppose if you have prime with free shipping you can afford to buy 10 cent parts?
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
I suppose if you have prime with free shipping you can afford to buy 10 cent parts?
You got that right. They actually sell these in bulk. You can't buy onesies and twosies. I now have enough transistors, resistors, etc. to make 100 of these (literally). Those little parts are like $5 for 100 with free shipping.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I'll probably start a new thread for this but attached is a schematic details how I wired things. There are a few different ways it can be done though. It is specific for Columbia / HD carts but I can't see why it wouldn't work for any cart that uses points.

Also, I ended up soldering the resistor / transistor onto a circuit board and enclosed everything in a plastic project box to keep them clean. See pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161023_1156047.jpg (105.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Columbia - HD HEI.jpg (31.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Col - HD HEI Diagram.pdf (103.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
top-cat
Getting Wild
Harley Davidson

I have used the Velleman kits with great sucess on the Harley golf carts.
top-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #15
Lochlin
Gone Wild

For anyone doing this conversion, use this diagram instead. My previous one will work but the resistor has to include the points wire. It's probably best to attach the points lead on the circuit board between the resistor and transistor but having the resistor anywhere before the points but after the HEI will work as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Columbia - HD HEI.jpg (31.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #16
plumcrazy777
Not Yet Wild

I have tried making this circuit to replace a bad module on a 86 columbia cart. i am having problems with my hei conversion and need some insight on what the problem may be. i have triple checked all wiring ,2n2222 transistor, 4.7k ohm resistor, new coil with 3 ohm resistance, new hei module 1.25v family #DR100. Problem is i only get one initial spark when i apply 12v to the + side of coil. doesn't matter if points are open or closed still just one spark, if i keep 12v applied very long it ruins the hei module and then no spark at all. Tired of burning up modules trying to figure out what i have wrong, anyone have any ideas ???? I am using Fig 1 on post #5 as a guide, i have also tried the above diagram on post #15 still only 1 spark ???? Thanks in advance for any help.
plumcrazy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Lochlin
Gone Wild

If you are burning up your HEI then almost certainly is still too much current in your circuit. Even though your coil is 3 ohms you might need more. I would install a ballast resistor. I installed an HEI on an older EZGo and I had the same problem. As a sanity check I installed an adjustable resistor and cranked that sucker up to 20 ohms which stopped spark altogether (which is would was supposed to happen). I then backed it off until spark returned. I believe it wound up being set at around 3 ohms which would be in addition to what the coil has internally.

You may also want to want that ground from the circuit board directly to the battery to make sure that it is as good as it can possibly be.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #18
Mezmorized6365
Not Yet Wild

Isn't a resistor directional? I want to try this but can't really afford to get anything wrong.

Thanks! :)
Mezmorized6365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
HookSet
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezmorized6365 View Post
Isn't a resistor directional? I want to try this but can't really afford to get anything wrong.

Thanks! :)
In fact, no resistors are not directional. They don't care which way they are going.

Diode's (think LED) are directional and must be oriented correctly.
HookSet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #20
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Here are a few pics of one of my finished circuit boards. My wiring is:

Red to points
Black to ground
Green to HEI "G" terminal
Yellow to HEI "B" and "W" terminal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HEI 1.jpg (344.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HEI 2.jpg (235.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HEI 3.jpg (223.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg HEI 4.jpg (226.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar