lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #111
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: DIY 101 - 14 cell Nissan Leaf lithium pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Sergio, recently did a very informative build using a Generic Chinese BMS and relays for LV protection.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...inese-bms.html
I'm using a simular BMS in my current build. The $80 Bluetooth Smart BMS provides balancing and Overcharging (HV) protection but doesn't have a (LV) disconnect (Gigavac). In lieu of the Gigavac or Sergio's relay shut off to protect the battery against over discharging I'm installing a simple low voltage alarm which will start squealing at a preset voltage and not stop until the battery is charging.

The Zeva and Chargery are both proving to be good systems but are quite pricey. Another member on BGW has put together more than 25 of these Leaf packs for friends of his and he used 2 Zeva BMSs early on but now uses these generic BMS exclusively without any issues.

I'm not sure of the specifics for your cart but it really shouldn't be too difficult as far as the actual battery swap goes. In most cases the B- from your new battery goes to the controller B- and the B+ goes to the solenoid, just as before. Sometimes you need to bypass a plug-in safety switch or bypass the OBC, but there's a lot of help here on BGW that will know your cart and can help with your specific needs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Curious about your LV alarm - which parts are you using / how are you wiring it in?
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #112
browkyl
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great write up and great detail. Threads like these have really helped me pass the time lately.
browkyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #113
kokkos88
Not Yet Wild

Great build👏👏
I was wondering what kind of range you get/expect?
I’ve tried learning about battery power, but the only thing ive learned is bigger number is better😅 You have a 48V 125ah pack now, is that the same ish as if I bought 3 x 12V 60Ah lithium batteries? Live in Norway and we have a lot of leaf batteries, but probaly less then 30 people own a golf cart. And zero people tuning them. Ive fully restored a DS with alltrax XCT48500 and FSIP TOURQE motor ++ and desperetly want longer range and less battery maintance. Buying “normal” lithium batteries would be so much easier and safer, but will it have the same perfomance as a 14 cell leaf build??

Stay safe over there😷
kokkos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #114
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When your pack hit's 50-V.....it's time to get to a outlet to charge up!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #115
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
Curious about your LV alarm - which parts are you using / how are you wiring it in?
Quote:
Sorry I didn't get back sooner bit I've been s little distracted recently. In the cart I just finished I used a programmable monitor called "Battery Failsafe Device". I wired it to B- and the 48v output/ controller side of the solenoid.

MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #116
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
When your pack hit's 50-V.....it's time to get to a outlet to charge up!!
Dave X2.
I actually put a label under the volt meter that says "52v Min." the owner knows that there's 5+ miles in the tank after that but it's time to watch it closely. It's more for people borrowing the cart and out joyriding and don't comprehend the level of damage to the pack if over discharged. Once it gets to around 51v it starts dropping like a rock! You can probably go from 52v to 48v in less than 20-30 minutes of hard driving... With as many miles of golf cart roads around here that's easy to do. Again the audible alarm is the last layer of protection to keep someone from turning their modules into something resembling a puff pastry. If the alarm sounds you need to plug in the cart to silence it. Simple and effective.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:03 AM   #117
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Again the audible alarm is the last layer of protection to keep someone from turning their modules into something resembling a puff pastry. If the alarm sounds you need to plug in the cart to silence it. Simple and effective.
Great find MCJEFE! I've been looking for a device like that.

Also, just curious, what is the VPC and/or full pack voltage at which your LV cutoff kicks in?

Mine is 3.25vpc (pack 45.5v). Contemplating increasing that but if I add an annoying buzzer at 47.5v then I can leave it as-is.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #118
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get back sooner bit I've been s little distracted recently. In the cart I just finished I used a programmable monitor called "Battery Failsafe Device". I wired it to B- and the 48v output/ controller side of the solenoid.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #119
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:

Thanks for getting back with the info!

I found a cheap (~$12) LiOn SOC meter (voltage based) that is supposed to have a configurable audible voltage alarm but I haven't had time to try it yet. Just wanted it for the low voltage alert, but not sure it will work as well as the one you've indicated here though.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:44 PM   #120
Shawn Sween
Not Yet Wild

Mcjefe
Thanks for this post did you happen to post the electrical schematic that's in the background taped to your wall somewhere?
Shawn Sween is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium