lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!
Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's! Side x Sides, ATVs, Quads, Bikes, Jeeps, 4x4, and everything else.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Default Is my CDI box AC or DC ? ....

Hey hey
So I have this Coolster Dune buggy that I got used but sort of running .... the previous owner had done some re wiring and such but nothing overly obnoxious

So I went to a Chinese parts place to get one of the No rev Race CDI boxes to get this buggy some Balls

The first one I got when I plugged it in did absolutely nothing ..... I think it was defective so I brought it back and the sales girl swapped it back for a basic stock box so I thought I'd go ahead and purchase another Race box cause that was my whole purpose of being there

So I plug in the second box and I get nothing again ..... even worse I plug in the new stock CDI box and it starts making some popping sounds then starts smoking .... a lot.... I pull the battery terms and take a look at my newly upgraded harness and everything looks good ..... except the new stock CDI box which is fried and even cracked

Does this sound like the new stock CDI might have been an AC box ?

I still have the box that came with the buggy and the motor fires right up with it so it's not a wiring or ignition problem
The original CDI plugs are laid out the same as all the rest of the 6 pin style boxes with a 2X4
First plug has a black wire from ignition and a B / W wire to the kill switch

2nd plug has 4 wires one to the coil
One from the pulse coil
And 2 others are ground wires

Is there a way I can test my motor to see if it's an AC motor or a DC motor ?

Thanks for any and all assistance
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Is my CDI box AC or DC ? ....

Most of the coolster or taotao engines I've ever encountered are AC systems.

but you can verify pretty easily with a meter
https://www.motorkit.com/blog/en/201...ooter-chinois/
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

An AC ignition system uses a AC source coil under the flywheel to power the ignition system. It needs no battery to run -- only to start if its electric start. A DC ignition system requires a battery to power the ignition system.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #4
G-gaurd
Getting Wild

Ok this is where I'm at

On the 4 wire plug i have the blue pulse going correct and the coil wire going correct

From the pulse coil i have 2 wires coming out one is blue the other is green

Does that green ground wire go into the CDI box ?
It is one of the wires that i left as is from correcting all the other wires so my 4 wire plug actually does have 4 wires plugging into the CDI

Most CDI wire diagrams I've seen show only 3 of the 4 wire plug being used and I do have one wire that is ground that is one of those ground wires that has like 3 ground tied into one wire that I have attached to the frame

Now with the 6 pin box it came with it starts right up and when I pull the battery terminal the motor keeps running which leads me to believe it's an AC system.... however I've looked at some wiring diagrams and I installed a 3 wire ignition switch that called out for a red wire
Black wire
Red / white wire

The red wire is getting its juice from the starter relay that I'm starting to think might be incorrect cause the old owner had hooked up a push button switch that was basically a way to run wires across the relay so it was wired like this
Pos battery to relay post
Relay post to button switch
Button switch to second relay post
Relay post to starter motor

The starter relay that came with it is the type that has a 4 wire plug and built in fuse so now I'm wondering if it's the correct relay

Anyway in the morning I'm going to switch out that relay with a 2 wire plug type and see if I can still use the 3 wire ignition switch and find out what I need to do with the black wire going to the CDI cause I've cooked 2 race CDI boxes so it almost getting to a process of elimination or I'm unknowingly wiring it up as AC instead of DC

So I'll give out a shout tomorrow and see if I've corrected it or I get some excellent advice on how stupid I am .... lol
G-gaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > General Discussion > Side x Sides/ATVs/Quads/Bikes/Jeeps/4x4's!