lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
Macwrench
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default '72 'D' Quick overhaul with pics

Thank you for all the valuable information you have amassed here. I am no stranger to mechanical things, but there is some quirkiness to these little two-strokes. Pics show some of what I did, but here is the breakdown:

-New piston and rings, standard size. (piston was toast, but cylinder survived)
-New flywheel side bearings and all new gaskets and seals. (seals were toast, but needle bearing was ok)
-cut open muffler and put ugly welds with baffles. (no you cannot see my welds)
-made a new timing cover to replace my missing cover.
-cleaned and resealed primary drive. (it was nasty!)
-New belts, and new upgraded starter adjuster. (I like it alot!)

Now all I have to do is figure out how I got the motor mount shims wrong to cause the primary drive to rub the secondary drive and I'm golden. I think I know the fix, but should have paid better attention.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59018776941__FCF91A09-4D97-45C5-89EB-40733E8FDE87.JPG (123.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4822.jpg (153.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4826.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 58905327096__68C86A17-A3F2-4739-8CFB-E7B3AEC05FBF.JPG (147.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 58942313617__6F9817CA-04FA-4A4D-AB85-8A461FBE64ED.JPG (104.5 KB, 0 views)
Macwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Macwrench
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: '72 'D' Quick overhaul with pics

The other pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4809.jpg (148.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4819.jpg (87.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

sweet man. keep it up and keep us posted
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwrench View Post

Now all I have to do is figure out how I got the motor mount shims wrong to cause the primary drive to rub the secondary drive and I'm golden. I think I know the fix, but should have paid better attention.

Thanks everyone!
You have done a lot of work on that and it's appreciated. There are only a few people who have a thing for the older carts, of which I now have 10, so I like when people keep these things rolling rather than scrapping them.

Regarding your clutches touching, if you are re-using your original one or if you have new ones, they tend to have to much flex and allow the engine to rotate too much clockwise from the drivers side to the passenger side. It's a very common problem. I actually made a diagram of a fix that worked for me. It can be found here:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...n-problem.html
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Macwrench
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Regarding your clutches touching, if you are re-using your original one or if you have new ones, they tend to have to much flex and allow the engine to rotate too much clockwise from the drivers side to the passenger side. It's a very common problem.

It's common, and I've read about it. It's even more common if you put the spacers on the outside mounts instead of the inside mounts like I did.

I just wasn't paying attention, but I will try to fix it this weekend. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Macwrench
Not Yet Wild
Harley Davidson

**UPDATE**

I ran a tank with double mix (about 40:1) through it. Now I've been running the normal 80:1, about half a tank so far. Runs fantastic! Best it's ever run. I know I should have bored it out .010 over and gone oversized, but the bottom end is solid now so next time I can just do a cylinder.

Still getting the secondary just kissing the generator pulley every once in a while (on bumps mostly). I shimmed the mounts a little to help, and it did, but they "kiss" sometimes.

Otherwise, it runs great! Only makes about 15-16 mph by GPS, but it's running strong and clean.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson