lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #1
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default A question...

My cart came standard with 12" wheels with 20x9-12 dot tires.

My question is how will increasing the diameter to 14" wheels affect the
displayed mph speed read out on my Sirius?

48v ac motor.

From what I am able to determine from what I have read, increasing wheel diameter will yield increased top speed, while at the same decrease motor rpm.

If this is so, decreased motor rpm; how would the displayed mph be affected...?

My thinking is that the obc or controller converts motor rpm to an indicated
speed readout on the display.

Phil or anyone please chime in ...your insights are appreciated

Thanks everyone.
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: A question...

There are some settings on the controller and the speedo that will need to be changed if you put larger tires on it if you want the speedo to be accurate.

If you are looking for more speed, thats a simple programming change on the controller, to the motor rpm settings. I maxed a Sirius out to 6000 rpms and it got to 29-30 mph. Phil.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Phil thank you for being "johnny on the spot" quick with the answer...wow!

My dealer has some Sirius models with 14" wheels...which increases the ground clearance.

My cart is stored under my carport roof....but will have my shed opening increased to accommodate storing my cart in the shed.

However, the shed has a 4" threshold and the cart would have to go up and over this threshold.

With stock 14" wheels and 5.75" ground clearance can the Sirius go up
and over the 4" threshold without needing a ramp? Would something be damaged id trying to go over this very slowly...especially over time?

Thanks for your help
Old 11-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Only thing that hangs low that may be an issue is the brakes master cylinder and the frame that it mounts to. Only way to check is by driving it in slowly and maybe have a set of eyes looking under the cart to check for clearance.

I noted there would be a need for speedo changes. I was thinking of the star classic. No need for any changes to the speedo, just a controller program change is needed to increase speed on the Sirius.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Buster Brown ret.
Not Yet Wild

Star

Hi Fellas, I own a Star Diablo (2016) 48 volt ac. First before you change anything with the speedometer get a hand held GPS and verify actual speed versus the carts speedometer. I found that mine was 1 1/2 mph fast on the cart speedometer. Here is a YouTube link on programming a classic speedometer. But I don’t recommend doing it yourself.
I have two different Star Dealers that are great for repairs and parts. Ironically I didn’t buy the cart from either one. Dealing with JH Global can be a real pain. Love the cart, no so much for JH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_IT2yr-T4

Last edited by Buster Brown ret.; 11-15-2019 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Buster Brown ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Buster, thanks for sharing the link. I have never seen any videos produced by Star. The Diablo and the Siriuis use different speedo's. The one on the Sirius is more like a Dashboard and is mounted behind the steering wheel. The speedo in the Diablo, Magellan and Star classic is the type in the video and can be a bit tricky to program. I see that the video the person has a chart with the different tire sizes and to think I was doing the math to determine the parameter setting P0. - Phil
Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

With a clear sky a Cell Phone GPS is more accurate than most vehicle speedometers. When Customers asks about installing a speedo, we pass along our experience concerning GPS. Sorta like when they ask about a radio...save some money go bluetooth. However there are some of us Old school guys who need the Blast from the past.
However if the customers whats a Radio, Speedo or a Washer-Dryer connection on their Golf Cart...we will be glad to do it...
Enjoy the ride
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Hey Buster Brown, LabRat thanks for chiming in with your posts.
Checked out the video programming the speedo..and thanks for the gps cell speed check...

This here kid would like to learn how to do this..

In my setting precise speedo readings not all that crucial...but would be good
to know.

Phil what is the accuracy difference between the Sirius speedo and the Magellan
Star Classic's speedo?

Thanks guys
Old 11-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
However if the customers whats a Radio, Speedo or a Washer-Dryer connection on their Golf Cart...we will be glad to do it...
Enjoy the ride
So what kind sort of cart needed to carry a washing machine and dryer load
while cartin' round the hood?

Can just imagine a cart tootling along with a washer dryer combo on the back a washin' n dryin' away...
Old 11-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
So what kind sort of cart needed to carry a washing machine and dryer load
while cartin' round the hood?

Can just imagine a cart tootling along with a washer dryer combo on the back a washin' n dryin' away...
Last year we had a customer that wanted 110vac 15amp on his electric T48, sure enough he got it, There is a benefit in not being restricted by a college education, "Who said you can't do that.... here hold my Beer"
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay