lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
jcaddigan
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Columbia Par Car, new batteries won't hold charge

I just replaced all of the six aging batteries in my Par Car (6 X 6V = 36V) and ran the charger up full. After driving for minutes, the battery gauge dropped from the white/red line into the middle of the white. Charged it up again to double check, same thing. Batteries all check out at 6+V each. Any ideas as to why the brand new batteries do not seem to hold the charge?

Thank you in advance.
jcaddigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Default Re: Columbia Par Car, new batteries won't hold charge

Are you sure that your charger is working correctly?
What is the actual readings from you batteries before you charge and after you charge? Check them with a DVM to get the most accurate reading.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Check them individually and the total as SWB713 suggested.

I never trust those gauges like the one you are talking about.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
jcaddigan
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thank you both. I will check before and after charging and update with findings.

I was also told by another guy not to trust the gauge, and that I may need a new gauge. I thought I might need to replace another part in between..........
jcaddigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaddigan View Post
Thank you both. I will check before and after charging and update with findings.

I was also told by another guy not to trust the gauge, and that I may need a new gauge. I thought I might need to replace another part in between..........
If you change it out, go with a digital volt meter instead of the old "gas gauge" looking things. The volt meter wold be a much more reliable choice because you can look at it and see what your battery bank voltage is at any given time, instead of 3/4 tank (or what ever).

These are easy to install and I would install it coming right off of the key switch. This way, it doesn't come on unless you have the key in the "ON" position. You can also find them in other colors. I have mine in green to go with my color scheme of my cart. But I have seen them in red and blue as well.
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb713 View Post
If you change it out, go with a digital volt meter instead of the old "gas gauge" looking things. The volt meter wold be a much more reliable choice because you can look at it and see what your battery bank voltage is at any given time, instead of 3/4 tank (or what ever).

These are easy to install and I would install it coming right off of the key switch. This way, it doesn't come on unless you have the key in the "ON" position. You can also find them in other colors. I have mine in green to go with my color scheme of my cart. But I have seen them in red and blue as well.
Agree 100%. Just restored a cart for my daughter I'm taking to her tomorrow. Cart has one of those gas gauge looking meters. I unhooked it, and would have taken it out if I had something to go in the hole.

I can hear her now "well daddy the needle did blah, blah, blah." And it has new batteries in it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charge, par car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar