lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

Default RoyPow in a Polaris Ranger EV?

I have not been too active on this site but just checking in the last few days and read the long thread on the RoyPow drop in kits.
I have a Polaris Ranger EV that has 8 - 12 volt FLA batteries in it. These carts run 2 parallel 48 volt banks driving a 30 HP AC motor of some sort. I am not clear on the details to the point many of you extreme guys are. I am still running the original set of FLAs that are over 5 years old. I know that I am looking at a replacement set soon though.
What are the thoughts on dropping in the 105 ah RoyPow, or even two of them? I could wait on the 160 too if that's only a few months out (but no one really knows it seems from comments in the other thread).

My cart is at my deer camp 400 miles away. I get out there every 3 weeks or so and I currently leave my smart charger (built in the Ranger from the factory) plugged in all the time. This has served me well since I changed the charging algorithm to a milder program and top off the water in the batteries several times throughout the year. Can the smart charger that comes with the RoyPow be left plugged in all the time when I am not there? If not, is that not something generally recommended for lithium batteries or what? Learning here and would like to go lithium for the lower weight and maintenance if the price is in the same order of magnitude as 8 replacement FLAs.

Thank you,
Tim
TimOub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RoyPow in a Polaris Ranger EV?

What are the specs on the current batteries?

If it were me I'd contact RoyPow directly. You need to know what kind of current draw the polaris uses though. The 105 AND 160 both advertise a 115 amp max discharge rate... If you are powering a 30hp AC motor you'll need more than 115 amps.

Is there something on the controller that shows you the Amp draw or can you find that online? Is there a fuse where the batteries connect?

It sounds like a great project! two 105's may do the trick, but you need to know your max draw first. As with any cart/buggy the biggest draw will be from a dead stop when you mash the pedal, the motor is in a near stall condition. But half a second later as the motor starts to spin you will be drawing a lot fewer amps.

The reason the RoyPow shows so low of a max discharge is the BMS that protects the pack is also the limiting factor in Amp draw. The cells can handle much higher draws, but you need the BMS. Especially in a dual pack configuration.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I was in the same boat as you with a 6 year old Ranger EV.

Went ahead and purchased a new one instead of installing new batteries or lithium. New model is a dud. The seat in not a bench seat, 2 seats with an emergency brake in the middle. Front end makes a popping noise and grinds. Dealer and Polaris techs said that normal to live with it.

A friend replaced 4 EV’s on a quail plantation with new ones this year and has the same problems.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

We should have done a DIY lithium build kit and spent $2500/$3k and got a large AH pack that could handle the 30hp motor.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
TimOub007
Not Yet Wild

The Ranger came with US Batteries 12vxr-xc2. The specs are here:
https://www.usbattery.com/products/1.../us-12vrx-xc2/

It shows them as 155 ah rated.

I appreciate all the assistance trying to figure out if the RoyPow is an option. I do not have the Ranger here at home to just go outside and check the rating on the controller though. There is a good group of folks learning and supporting the EV on rangerforums.net so I'll do some more looking around over there.

Thank you for helping me learn and improve my UTV.
Tim
TimOub007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
russb442
Gone Wild
Club Car

the 155 ah is the capacity not the allowable discharge current. best thing to do is buy a 30-40 clamp meter and when you go to the camp, test the current it all situations you would need it for. every situation is different to a certain degree.
russb442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
CrawfordD
Not Yet Wild

Another thought would be to DIY a pack. I'm just finishing up an install with 4 batteries from a Honda Clarity Hybrid - each pack comes in a pretty slick aluminum housing, and is 48v nominal with 28aH rating and 150a discharge.

Check out the AZ Lithium guy on ebay, he is local to my area and very knowledgeable. I spent about $1k for the batteries and a custom-programmed charger.

I've always liked those ranger EV's but I wish they came in other colors and in a 4 seater.
CrawfordD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

The roy pow 105ah can put out 600amps in short bursts. 115amps is continuous draw. We are currently running one on a 5kw 600amp AC setup turned all the way up and it has yet to trip the safety on the pack.

You should be able to parallel 2 of these. Best to check with roy pow about charging them in parallel tho. That might be kind of a pain if they need to be disconnected to charge.

I have just started looking at Ranger EVs. I found a pretty good deal on a 96v model. I would be putting lithium in it for sure! Once this plague is over I'll get more serious about buying one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Jkerle check that cause ours has eight 12v batteries but they are two 48volt packs not 96.
48volt system.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also Jerid do you have a write up anywhere on the RoyPow 105ah and Navitas AC kit posted?
Cart description, range?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium