lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Big Block Muffler Ideas

I just came across some good ideas for mufflers.

This first one is one that I am currently using. It has been installed on a Yamaha G1 and has been mated to 4 different engines: VC440, VC460 built, 16hp Vanguard, 23hp Vanguard. The sound is great. It sounds like a stock atv basically. Not loud at normal operation at all. It's a small muffler with 1.325" inlet and outlet. I like it because it's inlet it on the side so the muffler can be mounted sideways.

Stanley Muffler
IH-20
$42.97 at Rural King

http://www.stanleymuffler.com/store....&categoryid=37

https://www.ruralking.com/internatio...tor-muffler-13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IH-20 muffler.jpg (6.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 23-7.jpg (416.0 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Big Block Muffler Ideas

The second one is an interesting one.

It's also made by Stanley Muffler #TK-1. It's made for ThermoKing APU semi truck generators. Those generators use a diesel twin cylinder engine, and they sit right below the bunk of the semi trucks, so they have to be quiet. These are the replacement mufflers. I used to drive semi and was a mechanic as well, and I can verify how these sound and perform, and they are quiet. I have not used on on a golf cart yet, but I'm thinking about it lol. It's a little bit larger inlet and outlet at 1.5" than the IH-20.

Stanley Muffler
TK-1
$61.97 at Rural King

Here are the specs

http://www.stanleymuffler.com/store....&categoryid=56

https://www.ruralking.com/thermo-king-tripac-muffler-3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermo King APU muffler Stanley TK-1.jpg (12.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have another cart with a Supertrap muffler on it. I would describe the sound as louder than the IH-20, and it's on a 16hp Vanguard. The sound is like a performance atv muffler, but not as loud as a stock Harley small block. It kinda has a raspy sound, but it's tolerable. The good thing about it is that it's small and can mount at the very end of a pipe. It's pricey!!! $250 but it's shiny stainless steel, so it should last forever. They are tunable for better sound control. They are used on street bikes and atv's quite often.

https://supertrapp.com/catalog/produ...et/category/2/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg supertrap 3.jpg (10.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg supertrap 2.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg supertrap harley.jpg (39.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

One more muffler that I have tried is an atv muffler. The one I used was from a Yamaha Raptor 660. It's a little on the long side, but it sounds great on a built VC460. I had a bunch of people comment on how good it sounded. Very similar to a stock atv sound, very tolerable.

The only issue with it is that the inlet has a little bit of an angle to it. I never messed with it, but you could do a little fabrication work to it.

One of the cool things about this muffler is that it has a spark arrestor built into it that is removable with one bolt. If you remove the spark arrestor it sounds a little more aggressive.

You can find these used for as little as $40.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raptor muffler 1.jpg (25.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg raptor muffler 2.jpg (34.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
Dagoboy1976
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Great ideas. Question, where did you find a header for the 16 hp? I can find one anywhere and was thinking I'd have to have a shop custom bend one. This is next on the list.. thanks again

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Dagoboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoboy1976 View Post
Great ideas. Question, where did you find a header for the 16 hp? I can find one anywhere and was thinking I'd have to have a shop custom bend one. This is next on the list.. thanks again

I got my kit from Vegas Carts. Call them and tell them what you want, they'll make you a kit.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Dagoboy1976
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks

Dagoboy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 PM   #8
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have that same Stanley muffler on my 18 vanguard it’s a 22022 walker number it’s tone is great but a little loud going uphill as we have lot of it u could open it up and put some fiberglass packing or s steel it would be almost quite about like a stock HD IMO but also i put a turn down tip on it too throw the sound down and I got it at Oreileys and it was $41
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 PM   #9
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Also I have an old Harley muffler on my Duromax and it’s sound s sorta like a 4 wheeler and i think it would sound great on a vanguard but was easier to mount the tractor muffler because of the side inlet
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMIKEYBLACK View Post
I have that same Stanley muffler on my 18 vanguard it’s a 22022 walker number it’s tone is great but a little loud going uphill as we have lot of it u could open it up and put some fiberglass packing or s steel it would be almost quite about like a stock HD IMO but also i put a turn down tip on it too throw the sound down and I got it at Oreileys and it was $41

I think different models have different construction. That same muffler is available in several different part numbers from Stanley. Walker is the parent company, they own several brand names and manufacture for several other brands. I think it just depends on the model number, as far as sound.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!