lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Reducing Leaf Spring Stiffness...

This question was based on another conversation in the club car section another member is having issues with clearance and has a lithium setup that may not let the front spring flex enough with the reduced weight. Anyway I have heavy duty springs in rear and a steeling a arm lift that has a much beefier leaf spring in the front. Unlike the stock single springs all over these leafs have doubler (helper) springs clasped to the main spring. Can I just remove the clasp and have it act more as those progressive stiffness springs where the second set only comes in when the first one deflects enough? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while and should have some time this weekend due to our current isolated status.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Reducing Leaf Spring Stiffness...

I have zero experience with club cars, but lots of experience with leaf springs. Unfortunately leaf springs are the most basic and harsh riding spring any vehicle could have. HD leaf springs are even worse. There are products that help make leaf springs less harsh, but they never really ride better. Coil springs tend to be the best for ride quality, as far as metal springs go. Coil over shocks are next best, and are usually adjustable to some degree, some are highly adjustable. Air bags are the softest and most adjustable.

With that said, on the single leaf front suspensions.....they just aren't made for suspension travel. Travel is how a softer ride is achieved. The more travel the suspension has, the softer the ride, that's typically how it goes. Leaf springs just don't move very much, which is why they ride so stiff.

The good thing about leaf springs is that they are very strong, durable, and easy to work on. They are very simple really, hardly any moving parts. But that's about where the good ends.

Some people have retrofitted their golf carts with different suspension kits which can improve the ride. Jake's makes a LT front suspension kit that rides like a Cadillac. On the rear, you could reduce the number of leaf springs, maybe down to just one, then supplement the suspension with some air shocks or coil overs. I've seen that done. It might not be perfect, but it would improve the ride some.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
hojolabo
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Reducing Leaf Spring Stiffness...

Try putting piano (hardened) wire between the leaves thus reducing friction.
You might try a non hardened 2st to see if it helps, should be a fairly task.
Let us know if you try it.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
hojolabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts