lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Newbie gets first cart, wants to big block it!

Hi guys,

As the title points out, I'm a newbie, just bought my first cart. It's an older Cushman, from what I've researched, it's a mid 1970's GC400.

It came sans engine, perfect excuse for a big block!!! Thinking I'll just buy one of the Harbor Freight engines?? Or should I spring for the Vegas Carts engine??

I will need a primary clutch too. Should I get the Comet 94c or the CPP06??

Do any of you have experience with this cart? Will the rear end hold up to the big block power? Does my driven clutch look like it will work? I notice that most modern carts have the belt running 90deg from the way mine is. Will a big block even work in my cart? Can anyone tell me what kind of engine mine had in it when new?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mrbracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie gets first cart, wants to big block it!

With that cart you'll need an engine that spins ccw right? Which way does the axle spin when going forward? Also, I think that axle does not have reverse? If it was a two stroke engine it likely would run backwards to be able to have reverse. Not sure what cart that is....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Most of those around here are electric. It looks like a gear box or is it just a governor? Shift that thing and roll it, see if the direction changes. Should be able to fit a clone in there. Find out how wide the stock belt is. You would have something uncommon if you got it rolling.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
mrbracket
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It has a forward reverse gearbox. I jacked it up, put it in forward, and spun the driven clutch. If I look from the front of the cart to the rear, spinning the clutch clockwise moves the wheels in the correct direction. Same story for reverse. Therefore, I need an engine that spins CCW when you look at the PTO shaft from outside the engine. That seems to be how the Clone engines run, correct?

The cart came with a belt I assume was the drive belt. It is about 1-1/8" wide and approx. 42-43" inches long.

Which clutch works the best with the clone engines? Will they work with the 1-1/8" wide belt??

I found a little more info on the cart. It's a Cushman GC400. Here's a blurb from VintageGolfCartParts.com:

1968 saw their first four wheeled golf car, the Gran Cushman Golfster model GC-400. This steel body cart was also produced in the three wheel model GC-300. Note the dark blue GC-300 above. Both models could be purchased as either gas or electric. The gasoline GC400 used a Kohler 10hp model 241 while the GC300 had a kohler 8hp model 181 until 1972 when they came with the 10hp 241. The GC400 kept the 10hp until 1974 when they installed the 12hp Kohler model K301. The Town and Fairway version of the GC400 came out in 1968. It had an additional rear facing rear seat. It came in either 36 volt electric or with a 10hp Kohler K241 engine. It was produced until 1975. In 1974 they came out with the Combo 1 which was like the Town and Fairway except that it had the added feature of having the rear seats being able to fold down for golf bags. They only made this cart from 1974 to 1975 and they only produced 273 according to my sources. The 60s were the heyday for the Cushman line of golf carts.

They dominated the market until Harley introduced their gas golf cart which made inroads in their market share and later the influx of carts from Poland, the Melex, took a lot of their market as well, although they continued to dominate the electric cart market. From 1972 until 1975 only the four wheel version was manufactured. All golf cart production ceased on June 27, 1975. The company continued building industrial vehicles and in 1989 was purchased by Ransomes Ltd. In 1998 Textron, who owns E-Z-GO, purchased Ransomes. Cushmans are still being built today by Textrons Jacobsen Golf and Turf Products division.
mrbracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Typical belt is 1 3/16 new, there are many sizes available. Some carts use a 1" (CC) and the few sizes of those can be an issue. So just about any clutch that fits 1" shaft will work like a 94c and others and most all use a 1 3/16 belt. Most cart clutches with a pulley for a starter generator fit a taper shaft and you can use the CPP adapter to run those on a 1" shaft, I have one on my clone in order to use the stock taper yamaha clutch. I did have to cut down the shaft to make it fit in the cart. If you don't need the pulley then get a 1" clutch. Far as I know Comet and Tech are popular clutches take a look at CPP they have both. Only issue with clones is the poor charging system its only 3A. Some say an 18A model is out there but nobody knows where to get them. So the stock generator or adding a car alternator have been solutions, unless you don't start it often and don't use lights/accessories much. You might be able to put a pulley behind a 1" clutch if you have room. Most all engines run CCW from the PTO side, except newer model Clubcar starting in the mid90s.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #6
Olddude42
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

I have one with a 250 Suzuki under it
Olddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Olddude42
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Little rough, tearing it apart and painting it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160518_201205.jpg (247.7 KB, 0 views)
Olddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

An easy start would be a vegascarts 460 with a comet 780 clutch.If you have the room add one of their S/G brackets.After that your major fab work would be motor mounts and an exhaust system.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
stevewilli
Not Yet Wild

I know this thread is pretty old, but I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I just bought a jewell in the rough. It is an original Cushman Town & Fairway with original upholstery. Everything is there except the engine. The original owner took it out to get it worked on, then he croaked. Nobody in the family knows where he took it. I am just starting to decide which way to go as far as engine choices. A K241 would be nice but I'm striking out as far as finding one locally. What are your experiences as far as an aftermarket engine/clutch set up? I have no idea what kind of engine clutch might be suitable. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78F15FB2-8779-4720-A923-9B9B2C8D48EE.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 313E5BD2-D894-4FF1-9B10-B819FE3EFCAE.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
stevewilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
hooty481
Not Yet Wild

I have one of these. the best bet would be to find a k301 for it. they do have a special oil pan. and I can help with pictures if you are interested.
hooty481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!