lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
buggie_girl
Not Yet Wild

Default 12v Radio with push/pull switch fried the wire!

I have an 89 Club Car DS 36V and have a radio installed. I ran a wire with the pos (+) on one battery and the neg (-) on another to give me the 12v that the radio needed and everything was great...or so I thought ???

In another thread I had regarding a new battery install, it was noted that these two batteries of the 6-pack were slightly lower voltage and could be an issue, because the radio was always drawing power. It was recommended that I install a switch, so that when the cart is not being used, I would turn the switch off so that the radio would not draw any power. I ordered a simple 30amp push/pull switch, and went about installing this. I spliced the wire so that I could insert the switch in the middle. I connected the two pieces of wire so that it was "black-to-black" and then attached this to one of the terminals on the switch. I then connected the other pieces of "red-to-red" and attached this to the other terminal on the switch.

Now, for the test...I connected the wires back to the batteries and got power, and I thought it was good, however I noticed that the switch seemed somewhat backwards in that when it was pulled out, as in the "out" position it would actually turn off the radio. And, visa-versa, when push "in" it would turn on the radio. Kinda backwards, so I thought I'd change the red and black connections on the switch.

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING...all of a sudden I could smell smoke, I looked at the whole wire and was melting, something seriously was shorting out, holy sh*t!!! I disconnected from the batteries, ripped the wire out and need some help!

WHAT THE HELL DID I DO WRONG ?
buggie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

Default Re: 12v Radio with push/pull switch fried the wire!

With a simple switch you leave the black (ground) running straight to the device being powered and run the red (positive) through the switch. All you need to do is cut the red(positive) wire and put one end into the switch and the other end out of the switch as to interrupt the positive wire. From reading your post the best I can infer is that you cut both the positive and negative wires and connected both positives and both negatives to the switch which is destined to short out as soon as you turn the switch to the on position.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

^^^^Correct!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Think of the electrical current flow as a continuous loop with the batteries being the beginning. So it starts at the batteries, goes thru the red wire to reach the radio, then the radio sends it back thru the black wire to the batteries--over and over. To interrupt this flow, you just need to break the path(wire) in ONE spot. So you cut the red wire and install a switch. One of the cut ends goes to one terminal of the switch, the other end of the cut red wire goes to the other switch terminal. this allows you to "open and close" the path. The black wire stays intact as the flow only needs to be broken in one spot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simple switch.jpg (9.4 KB, 1 views)
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
buggie_girl
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I had cut both wires. Ok, thanks for the electrical lesson, I'll get a new one and only cut the one red wire.
buggie_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

For that price and the shipping time just go to your local wally world or auto parts store and pick up a toggle or P/P switch from them.
Less money and you got it now!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car