lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Kabouter
Not Yet Wild

Default 31HP Vanguard into a '84 Club Car DS

I would like to get some advise from the people that might have some experience on building BB carts. I have done some research on this and to be honest, I could not really find much concrete info but I also do not have a lot of time atm. I own a '84 CC DS and everything is stock. I have to mention that I live in sunny South Africa so all spares on carts is a serious big headache to find and most has to be imported from the US$$$$.
I came across a 31HP Vanguard engine for a steal, has been freshly reconditioned and would really like to fit this into my cart. My existing engine is tired and is on borrowed time. My clutches are still working but tired too.
I have been looking at A-Arm lift kits but also this has to be imported. Can the knowledgeable people please tell me what I am letting myself in for or what I must look out for.
I am mechanically minded and able to do almost everything myself but please remember, If I break something it has to be imported again
Sorry for the long winded post.
Kabouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 31HP Vanguard into a '84 Club Car DS

It's possible, but it will be difficult. That engine is pretty large, not sure it will fit in the cart without modifications.

Also, you need to consider what are you using from clutches. If that engine came out of a generator it probably has a tapered crankshaft, no good. You need to use an engine with a straight crankshaft, preferably 1". If it has a 1 1/8" crankshaft, you will be limited with your drive clutch options.

Look at your current engine, which way does the engine spin? If it spins clockwise you would not want to use that other engine, it spins counter clockwise. You will have to use reverse as your forward gear, and it's ratio is really low, so your speed will be slow. If the original engine spins counter clockwise, then most aftermarket engines will rotate the correct way.

You will need a lift kit or a dropped engine cradle to fit that engine, so fabrication might be in your future.

It's not an easy project. If you have good mechanical skills you could do it, but again, it sounds like some fabrication will be needed.

If you don't have good mechanical skills, you'll need lots of help.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I know it has been done putting a big block vanguard in a cart but I’ve never seen under the seat on one it seems to me u would need a BIG lift and the cradle dropped more than normal but it can be done
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMIKEYBLACK View Post
I know it has been done putting a big block vanguard in a cart but I’ve never seen under the seat on one it seems to me u would need a BIG lift and the cradle dropped more than normal but it can be done
The 23 Vanguard is 18" tall, and very doable. Th 31 is quite a bit taller...28", but that includes the air filter.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Kabouter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies, it has a parallel shaft. Can have it machined down to 1" if need be. I could not find dimensions on height without the airbox, rerouting? 6" lift would not be enough? I would like to keep to std aftermarket kits preferably. Seems like rotation might be the bitch to struggle with. What is the rotation on a 23 Vanguard? Originally I was looking at the gx390 as the parts are very easy to come by locally but 31hp would really put a smile on anybody's face!
Old 03-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Member "WALKNTALL" put 31 hp vannys in I believe ez-go's...do a search of his user name.....lots of info.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabouter View Post
Seems like rotation might be the bitch to struggle with. What is the rotation on a 23 Vanguard?
Check post #2, all clones and Vanguards rotate counter clockwise
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
Kabouter
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the feedback. My engine does spin counter clockwise, so that's good. Now just to ask the seller for dimensions on the engine without the airbox. Will update if I go ahead or scrap the idea.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You should be able to do it with a lift, you might have to fab a mount that sits lower. The kits are not for that so it will take some adjusting to get it in there. I looked at doing a 27 kaw and it was possible with a drop in the cradle but also need to fit a radiator with that and we decided not to do it. The clone 420/etc is pretty easy to do it fits no problem.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!