lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Hevyford2
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g9 predator vtwin conversion

Hey guys, I've searched the site to see if anyone has converted there g9 yamaha engine to the predator vtwin engine and can't find anything. Have any of you done this and if so what modifications. Any pics would be great to. Just so you know is a 1992 yamaha g9. Thanks, and love the site
Hevyford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g9 predator vtwin conversion

I have a 420 clone in my G9, sure the twin will fit and has been used in carts. Look in the Bb and clones sections. Its pretty similar to the older honda twin from what I read. Vegas carts also talked about making a kit to fit them, not sure if they did or not. Everyone was waiting for a rev kit to be made for them. There is a cool video of a guy dynoing one on a gokart on utube.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

In for more info
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

For the price of the bare-bones 22hp Predator (around $600) You can buy a 24hp VegasCarts single that is already built to the hilt and will give You a much higher level of performance ... Plus there are already all kinds of off-the-shelf parts available (as well as complete kits) to turn the conversion into an afternoons project.

Keep in mind that the 22hp Predator will NOT give You one bit of speed increase over the stock engine as they both redline at a similar RPM. You'll get more torque, obviously but to increase speed You need to rev higher, which the VC Clones are built to do. Also, with the Predator You are looking at the expense and hassle of having the crank machined to accept your stock clutch (which will soon fail with that type of torque) or using another type of clutch (such as the Comet which is already set up for the Clones from VC as well as included in their kits). Once that's done, now You're looking at fabbing up some sort of exhaust, etc etc - by the time You're done You have a seriously HEAVY engine that's cobbled together and gives You a bit more torque but no more speed, and chances are very very good that You'll have more money into the project than just buying and installing the tried-and-proven VC Big Block kit designed specifically for your cart.

Bottom line, the VC kits and Engines are specifically engineered to wring the maximun performance out of the conversion, and the kits are seriously 100% complete and easy to install in a long afternoon - there was a ton of hype around that 22hp Predator when it first came out but if You do some poking around in the "Big Block Clone Engine Swaps" part of the site here You'll find that the "New Car Smell" of that engine has pretty much disappeared as people have found them to not be a very viable option as a swap for these carts.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know what your saying brew, but if we just want torque and not looking at revving an engine high in the rpms, maybe the 22 is a good choice? I mean with a lift and 23" tires you should be able to get a decent mph, maybe 30 mph out of a 22 shouldn't you?
How high can the Vc 460 spin rpm wise and how long can you spin it that high without any issues?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
jmontes
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So, I am in the process of finishing up this exact conversion on my G2. I will post results when I am finished. I will have about $900 in the whole conversion including a new Comet 780 from VC and exhaust kit from Bullfrog.

I built 4" extended brackets to drop and extend the swing arm to make it fit. This worked out was as it also re-centered the rear wheels in the wheel well due to the Jake's LT lift.

I think I will get to 30MPH as I am running 23" tires too... Send me a PM if you would like to see pics of what I did.

BCM - You obviously have first hand experience with this conversion? what were your results?
jmontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Jmontes did you start a build post ?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #8
maxim1157
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Jmontes..we need pics of this conversion..
maxim1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
jmontes
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I have a bunch of pics. Maybe when I have some time I can start a build thread.
jmontes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
I know what your saying brew, but if we just want torque and not looking at revving an engine high in the rpms, maybe the 22 is a good choice? I mean with a lift and 23" tires you should be able to get a decent mph, maybe 30 mph out of a 22 shouldn't you?
How high can the Vc 460 spin rpm wise and how long can you spin it that high without any issues?
I run the VC's "Like I Stole Them" LOL as a rule of thumb, although I try to stay as close as possible to my self-imposed redline of 5500RPM just to be safe. It's not uncommon when we have people over for my carts to be run pretty much nonstop for 8hrs or more, as I have several miles of trails cut through the woods here on my property and on the adjacent neighbors - MY property is an old Ski Resort from the 60's, so as far as terrain, hills, etc there's plenty of that to go around, LOL ...

To answer your other question a lift and 23's will generally get You around 25 or so with a stock Yamaha engine, so with a similar redline (4k, give or take) you're going to end up at right about the same spot with the Predator. As mentioned above, the swap *can* be done for a little less money than the VC conversion, but that investment also entails relocating the swingarm and/or engine mounts, etc to get the engine to fit without rubbing, etc - so when You figure out the shop time, fab work and materials, consumables, trial-and-error time, etc it's pretty much a similar investment as the VC kit for an end result of more weight, less speed, little support for parts if needed, an aenemic charging system, etc (I'm assuming You want to run lights, etc on the cart - NOW You're looking at setting up an alternator or figuring a way to use your original starter/generator like the VC kit does ... See where I'm going with this?) ...

ANYHOW as they say, to each their own, everyone has a different set of values, etc on their time and effort, etc and some people are in it for a different end result, so it's really up to You to weigh the options and decide if it's worth it to you. I really took a long look at those 22's when they came out myself, but after doing the research and math i just put it out of my head - that doesn't meanit may not be the right option for YOU.

Just a thought to be fair to both options, unless You weld up your rear end or install a posi kit, either way you go you're talking a lot of unuseable torque, all the power in the world won't move You unless you have traction which is definitely a trick with these carts. I can't tell You how responsive the Predator is in use, but i can say that the VC is very well-behaved at lower rpm's and if You want, can definitely be driven like You would a regular cart - that's important to some people, so You may take that into consideration too.

Whichever way You decide, as always PICS PICS PICS, hahahaha
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha