lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
TheGuyRock
Getting Wild

Default VC625cc upgrades

So I've done an adjustable main jet and hand drilled my other 2 jets on the stock 24mm carb, as well as run the VC intake kit. Cart runs awesome, great response, but I want more.

I've been told a 32-34mm will open these up a ton, but need to be careful so you dont put a window in the block. (Trying to patiently wait on the new billet rod and piston for it to come out)

That being said, before I go toss this new 32mm carb on has anyone else done this yet? And if so what size jets are you running?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
TheGuyRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: VC625cc upgrades

I haven't used a VC625, but I put a 32mm on a VC460, and it revved to the moon. I also have a 23hp 627cc Vanguard with a 42mm Mikuni on it....and I LOVE IT!!! It's not perfect, but a completely different animal than with a stock carb. It does not bog at all. The power is incredible. I'm not lying, I can burn rubber on pavement with my golf cart. It's one wheel peel, but it's a black stripe lol. Could never do that before. My engine is stock other than the carb. I can't do wheelies though, my cart's too heavy.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MIKUNI CV STYLE CARBS!!!

Now I don't know if all the parts are available to do that on your application, but it will be worth the work. Jetting is the key. Lawn and garden carbs don't idle well, they don't have good response, and they are designed to run at a constant rpm. That's not to say they don't work, because obviously they do. What I'm saying is a motorcycle carb is designed to idle low, accelerate fast, have excellent mid range pop, they are just designed to work the way we need them to.

I would say that the reason most people don't do this is because:
1. cost, these carbs aren't cheap if you are using genuine Mikuni or Kehin
2. unfamiliarity, it's intimidating to tune one of these carbs with no experience
3. not bolt on, there are no kits available to install these carbs
4. trial and error, most people don't have the patience to see it through

If you have all that, I would go for it!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Oh yes....and I don't think there are parts for those engines yet to make them safe to rev over 4000 rpm. Rev kits, chromoly push rods, billet con rods. I'm betting someone will do it soon. But get a tachometer and be careful.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #4
TheGuyRock
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Oh yes....and I don't think there are parts for those engines yet to make them safe to rev over 4000 rpm. Rev kits, chromoly push rods, billet con rods. I'm betting someone will do it soon. But get a tachometer and be careful.
I'll be keeping it at 4500 max with the stock limiter. We've actually only been running it up to 3400-4k lately since that's where we are at 35 mph.

This is the carb I have.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did that carb make a difference theguyrock?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
I don't think he's put it in yet. Cmon man, we're all waiting here to see the results hahahaha
Old 02-22-2020, 05:20 AM   #7
TheGuyRock
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
The vegas carts adapter is supposed to get here Monday. As soon as it does it's going on. Jet kit and air cleaner got here yesterday.

Going to do some rips today on it after I get out of the plant so I can try to get something of a baseline. My main goal for it is to get more low/mid and driving grunt. Wide open isnt where I spend a ton of time anymore, but it does happen.

Debating if I should bend up a 1.25" or 1.5" exhaust for it while I'm at it. I just got a new 1.25" 180* die for my bender.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyRock View Post
The vegas carts adapter is supposed to get here Monday. As soon as it does it's going on. Jet kit and air cleaner got here yesterday.

Going to do some rips today on it after I get out of the plant so I can try to get something of a baseline. My main goal for it is to get more low/mid and driving grunt. Wide open isnt where I spend a ton of time anymore, but it does happen.

Debating if I should bend up a 1.25" or 1.5" exhaust for it while I'm at it. I just got a new 1.25" 180* die for my bender.

Larger exhaust wouldn't hurt. What size it the stock, 1"? 1.5" might be a little large, I think the aftermarket headers for the Vanguards are 1.25".

When you tune that carb, start with the main and WOT and then tune it down from there. Seems to work out better that way from my experience.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
TheGuyRock
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Larger exhaust wouldn't hurt. What size it the stock, 1"? 1.5" might be a little large, I think the aftermarket headers for the Vanguards are 1.25".

When you tune that carb, start with the main and WOT and then tune it down from there. Seems to work out better that way from my experience.
I have the new 1.25" pipe on the way and a new flex section. Carb filter got here today.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The VC headers for the VC460 are 1.25" so if you can manage the 1.5 " for the 625 all the better. The drag pipes for my 1000cc ironhead are are 1.5"'s and each of those are only exhausting 500 ccs. As we have seen with the 460's AIR FLOW,AIR FLOW and AIR FLOW was the key to making big power the 625 would need much more to fill and exit that large cylinder.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!