lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #1
John Kieffer
Not Yet Wild

Default Spark plug firing order

2012 work horse with 11hp Robins 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine. I’m trying to rebuild an old discarded work horse. I have a simple question. Does the twin output coil fire both spark plugs at the same time or does it alternate between the plugs? I haven’t got mine to fire at all yet, but I will!
John Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Spark plug firing order

Both at the same time. No distributor
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:37 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

2012 should have the Kawasaki single cylinder motor in it. 2008 I believe was the last year of the 2 cyl Robin's based engine.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #4
John Kieffer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick response. I could not figure anyway that the coil could know which one to fire, yet it seemed odd to think that both cylinders would be firing at the same time. Seems like the engine would run much smoother if they alternated. This is my first experience with one of these engines. I must have the year wrong. Maybe it’s a 2002. The previous owner said it had wiring problems that they couldn’t figure out. It got replaced and sat in the woods for years. This combination starter/generator is an interesting concept. I still haven’t got my head around how it knows how to exit the starter mode and go to generator mode.
John Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It's a wasted spark setup. The pistons alternate compression strokes, but plugs fire both compression. And exhaust strokes. Not an uncommon setup for an engine. They run very very smooth once you get it running.

Once the starter/generator begins to spin faster than it can spin on its own it becomes a generator. Dont know exactly RPM off the top of my head.

The ignitor is mounted to a vertical plate next to the battery. It gets ground through this plate and is very common for it to get corrosion between the plate and the body. I'd start by removing it, wire brush the bottom of the plate and the body, and run an extra ground wire directly from one of the bolts on the mounting plate to the negative battery terminal. I've fixed a few with a no spark issue this way.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kieffer View Post
I could not figure anyway that the coil could know which one to fire, yet it seemed odd to think that both cylinders would be firing at the same time. Seems like the engine would run much smoother if they alternated.
Golf carts are a bit different from the automotive stuff most of us have been used to, but the "Wasted Spark" ignition was pretty common in cars through the 80's, 90's & early 2000's. In practice the spark happens at the top of the compression stroke for one cylinder and the top of the exhaust stroke for the other - so it's simple and really doesn't hurt anything to "waste" that spark.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It also supposably burns excess fuel not burned from the power stroke.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO