lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
cr500-3wheeler
Not Yet Wild

Default 31hp in ezgo

So what sort of issues am I looking at with putting a 31hp briggs model #543477-0130 in an ezgo, Is there a certain motor mount that works best/personnel preference, what about exhaust clearance issues if i use the stock vanguard exhaust, and of course clutch options. The other option of course is 24 hp honda but would like a little bigger motor.
cr500-3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 31hp in ezgo

What kind of ezgo, they have made more than one model.
You'll need to make an engine cradle and lift the cart accordingly so it'll fit height wise. Tom at CPP has engine cradles, clutch advice and can probably help with what direction you should head. There's a reason his name is BigBlockMan here on the forum. My cart has the stock exhaust but it has all kinds of room in there cause it's a longer wheelbase workhorse and the engine cradle angles down so the vtwin sits a little lower than most. most cradles are straight.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
cr500-3wheeler
Not Yet Wild

1998 ezgo sorry about the lack of info given, I have a stretch front end, arched rear springs as there is no shackles or blocks on the rear end may be its just flipped to the top of the axle, roll cage(sport cage) stretch exhaust on the factory engine,not currently planning on going to a 3 or 4 link rear end but that depends on cash, In need of more horsepower, hope that helps, my many question is, is there a good better/best/engine cradle personnel opinions please, will a 31 hp vanguard with its factory exhaust fit in an 98 ezgo, do I have to have a 1190 clutch or power bloc 80 or will a 780 or similar clutch work, or am I better off using a 23/24hp with a few performance additions and less headaches
cr500-3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

for the 31hp you need at least a 6 to 8 inch lift for engine clearance... need to know what size shaft then that will help you deside on the clutch... maybe a custom exhaust will help to keep the heat off of your AZZ ...
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
todwil
TOD WILD

The 31hp will fit youll need a 6" lift and the driven clutch needs to be
spaced about a 1/2" out to clear the gas tank on passenger side.
Good luck and post pics!!!!
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by todwil View Post
The 31hp will fit youll need a 6" lift and the driven clutch needs to be
spaced about a 1/2" out to clear the gas tank on passenger side.

Good luck and post pics!!!!
For a sec I was thinking WTH? then I got it.
He means the whole engine has to move to the drivers side a half inch as well as the driven clutch in order to clear on the other side.
Is this right with a txt?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
todwil
TOD WILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
For a sec I was thinking WTH? then I got it.
He means the whole engine has to move to the drivers side a half inch as well as the driven clutch in order to clear on the other side.
Is this right with a txt?
Yep the engine is about 2" thicker so the clearance
get tight on the pass side
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!