lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Default Need to secure new motor mounts, any ideas?

I have to replace 2 motor mounts on my 79 marathon. I have the mounts but need to figure out a way to secure them. I am thinking riveting just like they are in there now. Just not sure if the cheap hand riveter I am looking at will suffice for the job.

Something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-ri...set-38353.html

I only need to rivet 8 times, so am not worried if it lasts to much longer than that.

What do you think?
Scottn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need to secure new motor mounts, any ideas?

I have always been a little wary of HF tools but I have a job where I need to pop rivet just 4 times so I think I will buy the same tool. Thanks for pointing it out Scott.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I've had that exact rivet gun for over 20 years. Used it at least 100 times on several different sizes and it has never failed. Sometimes the pin will not fall out of the gun after I install the rivet, but I eventually get it out.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
I have always been a little wary of HF tools but I have a job where I need to pop rivet just 4 times so I think I will buy the same tool. Thanks for pointing it out Scott.

Dave
I am always leary myself of their tools. I will only buy them if I do not need to use it abounch. Not a prob big D
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
I've had that exact rivet gun for over 20 years. Used it at least 100 times on several different sizes and it has never failed. Sometimes the pin will not fall out of the gun after I install the rivet, but I eventually get it out.
That is good to know. I figure it can prob be kind hit or miss with them. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I ordered it last night. At $5.99 plus $1.99 shipping that is cheaper than the gas needed to drive to town. When it arrives I will report back.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

I went and picked mine up locally last night. Its gonna work just fine. I did acouple of them off the cart just to test, and didnt have a problem at all.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Scottn29
Not Yet Wild

So I installed the motor mounts last night with the rivet gun. It worked out well in the end as they are installed and secure as the originals now. The gun proved to be a bit of a pain in the ***. As the part the gun grabs to set the rivet would get stuck several times. I set 8 rivets and it got stuck on 4 of them. The first time I took the rivet gun apart to see what the problem is. Its the 2 little pieces that grip the rod of the rivet, they would not let go. It is a split piece in there. So for the next few times it did that, I figured out a better way than taking the whole thing apart. You need to just unscrew the little nut piece that the rivet slides into, grab a pick or a thin hole punch, and push the 2 pieces that clamp the rivet back alittle. You might need a pair of pliers to grab the nut and pull it off the rivet rod, as the end is not super flat once it breaks off the rivet. Kind of a pain, but it works every time like that. It would take me less than 2 minutes to fix it each time.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
afzimm
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scott Thats a good deal. I bought one similar years ago (probably 20+) and it works perfect every time I use it. Now it may not stand up to everyday use, but I have used mine dozens of times. Always hanging on the wall when I need it. . AZ
afzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO