lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
BIGDADDYJC1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Big Blocking

So I can get my hands on a 20 hp Honda V Twin I believe it is haven't seen I a while, my dad got it for his cart but never put it in and has since come up with something else He wants to use, I bought a ezgo for 50 bucks a few weeks ago and he gave me the motor, question is how many people that has done it wish they hadn't we put one in a friends and he doesn't like it says its not practical for his wife running to mail box or riding kids around just thought I'd ask.
BIGDADDYJC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Big Blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGDADDYJC1 View Post
So I can get my hands on a 20 hp Honda V Twin I believe it is haven't seen I a while, my dad got it for his cart but never put it in and has since come up with something else He wants to use, I bought a ezgo for 50 bucks a few weeks ago and he gave me the motor, question is how many people that has done it wish they hadn't we put one in a friends and he doesn't like it says its not practical for his wife running to mail box or riding kids around just thought I'd ask.
I find it more practical to walk to the mailbox at my house but its a short walk. If I had a long driveway it might would make more sense. Don't know why he doesn't think the BB is practical but I would go with it if I were you.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
jmz
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I can understand a wife saying it is not practical because I have to choke mine every time I start it. Not so bad for me but sometimes my wife and son get aggravated starting it. Someday I will put a bike carb on it. Other than that I like the Honda 20. I have had my cart up to 35. Another thing for me is trying to get it to idle real low.
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
BIGDADDYJC1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I may leave this like it is, I might just built me a frame and put some bodies on it
BIGDADDYJC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Depends on how you do it. I use the stock gen on my G9 and it starts just like stock, runs like stock except it has more power of course. Its a clone 420 with some mods so around 15+hp. You can make the lash larger on that valve if the compression release is kicking in at idle, it will lower the rpm it works at. You need to pull the carb apart and unplug the idle if you can, many cover it up, so you can adjust the screw for mixture. You may have to enlarge the jet for idle if you can't get richer with screw. The epa makes it difficult. Or go with another carb you can adjust. Proper mixture and control the comp release you should be able to get under 1K idle no problem. It will also start much better you typically don't need choke until it is under 60F out or so. Even then you can feather the gas 0-25% and it will start in 5 seconds or so is my experience and takes a bit to get rolling normally.

Also if you go with the starter on the engine like a lawnmower, sure it is more of a pain to use you have to start it up and all. Cart gen start you hit the pedal and go, but have to have a pulley on the clutch to do it. So you have to use an original or replacement clutch or mod another clutch and put a pulley on or behind it. I am running into this now my clutch is about toast and want to use a non-GC clutch I will have to fab a pulley, plus I cut my crank off short to fit in the cart so I need a stock shaft taper clutch yet.

Big block gives you more power, how you make it start and run is up to you. You don't need a big block to putt around the yard or get the mail, most do BB for trail riding and towing and fun. It is a project to put in you have to make exhaust/maybe airbox/all linkages and cables work/and a little wiring/plus the mount and proper positioning and clutch for it. Though some EZGO you can buy mounts for and other parts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!