lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #1
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default 2015 PTV EFI--aka Yamaha Concierge---How/where to ground electrical components?

Morning all---been on hiatus the past 6 months due to back surgery. Tryin to get back into the swing of things.

I am reading mixed reviews on where to run ground wires for components.

Coming into the Negative- Terminal is the Big Gauge Black wire....there is also a smaller black wire that Y-Splits off very close to the negative terminal and is Grounded to the frame.

Where should I ground components such as stereo, amplifier, and lighting etc? Directly to the Negative Post or to the Frame?

So far I have the following components to connect:

1)I have multiple led lights and a few fog/offroad lights.

2)One 400 watt amplifier to power 4 Marine speakers.

3) One 50 watt amplifier to power a voice changer and 2 small speakers (for the kiddos).

4) A have a spare mono amplifier (1000 watts I believe) and 2 subwoofers from an old car that I may use. Not sure if I can fit it yet.

What EFFECTs if any would running all these components on the CART be?

I am not sure what would be too much to hook up to the cart?

But basically I need toFIRST start with where to ground it properly and maybe an explanation as to why ground it to the negative battery terminal vs. the frame or vice versa so I can better grasp things.

As always an helpful input is appreciated:-)
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: 2015 PTV EFI--aka Yamaha Concierge---How/where to ground electrical components?

Run the grounds back to the battery, or to a buss bar...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2015 PTV EFI--aka Yamaha Concierge---How/where to ground electrical components?

So as to the Why?

Just tryin to make sense to it.

Why would you ground somethings to the frame and others to the battery?

What is split off from the battery negative cable to the frame on the cart then?

Also, what is too much when hooking up components to the cart?

I don't want to "kill" the battery and/or cart.....
Attached Images
File Type: gif battery.gif (21.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

I have all of my lighting tied to the battery/engine/frame ground with no ill effects!

041 (2).JPG

I don't have a stereo, but it's always been to my understanding that you should use an isolated ground to prevent radio interference.

As for what is too much?
I'd think that the 50w and 400w amps "might" be fine for just the stock battery and charging system,
(though, I don't know the output of your S/G, and depending how long you use it when the cart isn't running)

IF... you decide that you want to use the 1000w sub woofer amp,
it may be a good idea to use an auxiliary deep cell battery to power the complete stereo and charge it separately as needed!

I'm just using my common sense, and most of this is a guess... so take it for what you will!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The Yamaha techs say to ground accessories back to the battery or S/G ground, so that's what I did. Will they work grounded to the frame? Maybe, maybe not. There is also a 10a fuse that can/will blow if accessories are grounded to the frame.

I think EZGO and Club Car use frame grounds...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Maybe I should clarify my earlier posts. G2 thru G14's used an Ignitor (based on open/closed ground for ignition spark) and grounding to the frame could cause spark issues. G16 and up cars use a TCI (more like a magnito system) that should not be effeted by grounding to the frame. They also have there own ground from the wireharness to the frame and engine. I still recommend a lead straight from the battery to a fuse box. "The Drive" or G29 has alot of room under the drink holder panel for one. Hope that helps alittle.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have a G29 also and as smallblock450sl said there is plenty of room under the cup holder for a remote fuse block and a grounding block/bar. On my cart I used a non isolated ground bar screwed to the frame with a 10ga stranded copper wire run back to the battery. I don’t have any heavy loads connected there, but I believe I will increase the size of the grounding jumper from the battery to the frame. This will eliminate the chance of any problems in the future should I use the frame for a grounding point in the future. I don’t have any sensitive audio equipment installed, but if I were going to I would use an isolated grounding block, to help eliminate any noise interference. Good Luck.

Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Recommend any particular isolated grounding blocks? So many choices but some are way pricey.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have a G9 I grounded the frame with a wire battery to frame, because my lights had no ground just the mount bolt. It has worked fine. Stock G9 the frame is NOT grounded, the cart has no reason to do that. The engine cradle is grounded but the frame is not. So you ground everything to the battery much like in a boat. You can try grounding the frame and using that, but since the distance to the battery is so small I'm not sure it would matter other than you could buy a few foot less copper wire. I don't know about ignition issues, mine never had any. You will blow the 10A fuse if you run power through the frame, the factory wiring is pretty thin and not made for any extra load. Once my wire came loose and my lights went very dim, I turned them off fast as I could.

The gen only puts out 15A at higher rpm, that is roughly 200W total power. That is why many put an extra battery in for the stereo. I would run only class D amps they take less power but 1Kw is a lot you def need to put another battery in. You can use a switch or relay to turn the battery on when running to charge it.

KAC-M3004 Kenwood is a tiny class D amp, others make them now but make sure they are class D. Still only 300rms total, but you can run this kind of amp better on a golf cart if it fits your needs. It has a 30A fuse but it should never take that kind of current unless you are playing bass tones trying to destroy it. I run a 125x4 and 1x500rms in my car with only a 125A alt and it never dims now with full class D amps, unless I really stand on it at idle. Even with the last highs amp I ran 4x75 class AB it dimmed more without a doubt. Anyway, you can use that 1Kw amp and not use all of it, but if you plan to you will need more power. I never thought using class D on highs would save power until I ran one in my car, but I had run class D on subs for a long time.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #10
buzzdone
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

batt ground is the best frame ground is ok if you have a large wire from batt neg to frame or you just have fuse link with a small wire buzzdone
buzzdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha