lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
ccave04
Not Yet Wild

Default '87 EzGo Marathon Carburetor Removal Question

Hi all, new to the forum (looks pretty sweet!) and have a question.

My parents recently donated there '87 Marathon 2 Cycle Golf Car to me this past weekend. According to my father it ran great and he never really had to mess with much. Wellll, when I received it the machine ran great for all of 2 minutes, then it died. It will not run unless it is at about half choke. So from what I have read through this and other forums it is probably a fuel problem. I went through and checked / cleared all the fuel lines and replaced both fuel filters. This did not solve the problem. I also ran in a bunch of "Seafoam", product I read would clean the carb w/o actually removing the carb. This also did not help.

So I download the manual to the cart and figured out how remove the Carburetor, most of the way. I have everything detached and EXCEPT for the cable that connects the Choke pull. On the end of this cable is a small cylinder with a hole/punch in the center of it. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this comes off. I figured that it must come off because the replacement Carburetor that I found (in case cleaning doesn't solve the problem) has all the mechanics there but this small cylinder stop/hold whatever it would be called would still need to be removed just to attach the new carb.

Might be a simple way to remove it that I just haven't figured out but anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. If need I can post a pic of what I am talking about, just let me know.

Thanks!
Chris
ccave04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '87 EzGo Marathon Carburetor Removal Question

I have a 1988 and I am trying to think off the top of my head but isn't that just a set screw inside the "small cylinder" holding the end of the cable? Could it be it is just full of crud so it is appearing that its a hole punch but if cleaned out should be a small allen screw you need to back off.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
ccave04
Not Yet Wild

Exactly correct sir! Thanks, sprayed some cleaner in and jammed in a small allen wrench and wallla out came a screw. I figured I was being an idiot. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Glad to help. You were not being and idiot just uneducated about the cables. That's what these message boards are for. Now your educated
Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
ccave04
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, now that I got the carb out cleaned and re installed it did NOT correct the problem. Going to start a new thread about the issue to see if I can gather some input on next troubleshooting techniques.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Did you clean the fuel pump and also look very close for any tears in the gasket? Also when you say you clean the carb did you use compressed air through all the jets? Just a can of carb clean will not do. Longer they sit the tougher the grime.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO