lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default JohnnieB's 2008 PDS sleeper build.

Realizing that the money I've been saving for a rainy day will be losing most of its value over the next few years, I decided to spend some of it while it still has half the value it had when I salted it away.

My 2008 TXT PDS is stock except for 2Ga cables and tires slightly on the tall side. (18.4" vs the original 17.4")

I run in Mild Hill mode mostly, so my top speed is about 15 MPH, which is fine on back roads and more than enough cross-country, but a little slow on city streets.

Cosmetically, the coachwork will stay about the same. More or less Plain Vanilla, and not much different than it looked when it was a rental at a golf course.

I've added side baskets and a Slow Moving Vehicle triangle and will be adding a fold down windshield, a center mount convex rearview mirror, seatbelts and a couple of handles to hold on to , but that is all the visible stuff, unless I find a basket or something to put in the bagwell so I can carry more groceries back to the house.

The dash has a DVM battery meter and a 500A Ammeter is going in the ball holder space along with a power-port.
Possibly, there might also be a tachometer. (The motor's speed senor won't be used with the new controller and it puts out 8 pulses per revolution, so I might figure out a way to make a off the shelf automobile tach work.)

The controller that is enroute from Carts Unlimited is an Alltrax DCX400PDS mated with a 400A continuous/ 1000A peak solenoid.

Both the controller and solenoid will operate from 36V to 48V, so I can up the voltage just by adding more batteries.

I haven't checked yet, but if my 36V DPI charger can be upped to 42V just by changing the control board, I'll probably go to a 42V system with the seventh 6V battery in front of the wheel well under the driver's seat.

I haven't settled on which batteries yet, but they will be over 225AH.

I'm going to run the stock PDS motor for now, but if it gives up the ghost, I'll be on the phone to PQ.

-----------

I'll turn 70 in February, and I get down easier than I get up, so it is going to take a while, but I'll keep you informed on the progress and any tidbits of information I discover along the way.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: JohnnieB's 2008 PDS sleeper build.

Sounds good Johnnie. I am looking forward to your input on these pages. Let me know if I can be of any help.

P.S. The 7th battery went in easy on the Driver's side. I used a top side single battery hold down and some threaded rods to secure it.
Shoot me an email when you get ready for new Batts, I may have some new hold downs left over for you.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Looking forward to watching the progress!!!
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

I've added side baskets and a Slow Moving Vehicle triangle and will be adding a fold down windshield, a center mount convex rearview mirror, seatbelts and a couple of handles to hold on to , but that is all the visible stuff, unless I find a basket or something to put in the bagwell so I can carry more groceries back to the house.
Do you have a solid windshield you'd be willing to sell?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Awesome!!! Can't wait to see and hear more about it!!!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Do you have a solid windshield you'd be willing to sell?
Nope, didn't have one installed.

Hopefully, the increased air resistance will keep the top speed down.

I'll probably switch to GL-90 in the differential for the same reason.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I used a synthetic 90 weight in my rear-end.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Speaking or rear ends, I almost soiled myself yesterday afternoon.

It got up in the low 70's and I decided to cruise to the other side of town and pick up a couple Subway sandwiches for supper and surprise SWMBO.

I'm daydreaming about how nice it is going to be with the cart silently slithering down the quiet street in the low 20's instead of the mid-teens and suddenly I hear a loud screeching/grinding sound. I didn't feel any vibration or anything, but when I lifted my foot, the sound stopped.

What immediately ran through my mind is that I've got a bunch of goodies on the way and I just lost the motor or differential, so my sphincter ani externus is definitely twitching. Then the sound starts up again while I'm sitting still and I regain muscle control.

After I pass the parked van that was blocking my view, I see a guy using a masonry saw at the end of his driveway.
It was just a coincidence that he stopped sawing at the same instant I lifted my foot, but is sure had me fooled for a moment.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Finally getting around to posting some pictures of what I started with.

BTW - The SLS in the background of picture #3 is a sleeper also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original - Front.jpg (93.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original - Back.jpg (118.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original - Side.JPG (895.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original - Battery.JPG (747.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Original - Controller.JPG (607.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is the battery and controller after the 2Ga cables from Carts Unlimited were installed.

Sorry about the image quality, I don't have a camera built into a cell phone, so I had to use a real one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery with 2Ga cables.JPG (976.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Controller with 2Ga cables.JPG (644.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO