lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
JRL
Gone Wild

Default Rear Axle ID? Yamaha?

I'm installing a Kaw ZX6E engine into a Hyundai golf cart.
No issues with the install other than the ID of the transaxle. It is manufactured by whoever manufactures Yamaha transaxles. The unit is almost identical to a '96 Yamaha G14 gas power transaxle. http://yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/#
My axle housings bolt on "Franklin" style...other than that, and the splines on the input shaft, the axles are the same. Definitely the same vendor.
Since the cart will be used primarily for toting an upright bass at bluegrass festivals, it has to be kept looking relatively stock. Even gas powered can be problematic in some campgrounds.
A ZX6E engine is a smallish 84 HP, liquid cooled engine, that fits rather nicely into where the old V270 Suz was removed. Got a Yoshi 4 into 1 exhaust that looks like it was made for the conversion. Wraps right under the golf cart swing arm and while it's the lowest part of the cart, shouldn't be a problem.
Doomsman posted a parts breakdown that accurately reflected the transaxle as a 'Yamaha', but my question is does Yamaha manufacture their transaxles, or are they vendored? I'm in the motorcycle business and don't know Bo about golf carts.
Yamaha allows us to buy almost all product lines--except for golf carts and music related items.
Bought a Kaw Bayou 300 for a donor, but never could figure out how to shorten the driveshaft enough to maintain the OEM wheelbase. Oh well. Got a decent ATV to ride while I finish the cart.
Thanks, JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1609.JPG (60.9 KB, 20 views)
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Rear Axle ID? Yamaha?

It is not a Yami, it's a Hyundai diff. Don't know who made them for Hyundai. I'm not as concerened about the center section/gears as I would be about the axle splines and hub/drum splines. They were known to strip splines with the stock engine and even on the electric models. Scottyb's company sells the cable activated disc brake kit and they have some real solid looking buillit hubs, just a thought. Also Mikesmotortoy's sells factory Ezgo drums/hubs that are supposed to be much stronger. They reason I say this is the drum/hub is the same on your Hyundai as an Ezgo. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
It is not a Yami, it's a Hyundai diff. Don't know who made them for Hyundai. I'm not as concerened about the center section/gears as I would be about the axle splines and hub/drum splines. They were known to strip splines with the stock engine and even on the electric models. Scottyb's company sells the cable activated disc brake kit and they have some real solid looking buillit hubs, just a thought. Also Mikesmotortoy's sells factory Ezgo drums/hubs that are supposed to be much stronger. They reason I say this is the drum/hub is the same on your Hyundai as an Ezgo. Good luck
Thanks, that's good info. I'd bet that most of the stripped hubs were run with loose hub nuts. I've run into the same thing on ATVs. Still, knowing what fits and what will interchange is good to know.
The brakes seem to work rather well. They'll skid the tires easily. Look like new. All the cables look good too. This cart sat somewhere for a long time without much use.
I figure that the transaxle won't survive for long. Contingency, mounted the engine enough that converting to a live axle would be easy enough.
Using the OEM transaxle seemed a reasonable way to get the engine in, and keeping the creative fab to a minimum. Looks like the most difficult project will be mounting the radiator and fan in a workmanlike fashion without screwing up the front end appearance.
In addition, figure that the differential won't be all that cool either. While I don't plan to get rough with the cart, it'll likely spin one wheel on wet grass.
Half of this engine swapping, 'creative-thinking' thing is getting a rough plan on what the final project should do, and drag racing isn't in my future. Most of my use will be carrying an upright bass around at bluegrass festivals. Been using a nice little '03 Club Car, but charging the batteries is a major annoyance at a festival. The CC doesn't go very fast, or very far.
Feel free to offer any advice!
I'll post some pix soon. Just bought a Harbor Freight plasma cutter to cut some mounts. Using a cutting torch just isn't working with the small parts that I need.
Cheers, JR
Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

Live axle, who needs reverse?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00043vu4.jpg (168.4 KB, 29 views)
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
JRL
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter View Post
Live axle, who needs reverse?
Very nice!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
JRL
Gone Wild

BTW, the axle is a Dana. Not sure what other carts use the axle, but it's common enough.
JR
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Bike & ATV Engine Swaps