lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!
On Road Golf Carts! Low to the ground Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #11
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 link rear suspension on EZGO??

Sat there this afternoon and I think I may have a solution. I think that I can fabricate a panhard bar that can fit behind the battery tray and in front of the axle. One end will be connected to one of the trailing arms and the other to a bracket that drops down from the frame.

What is your opinion on this arrangement? I know it's not optimal, but it's the best I could come up with. Won't the panhard bar also help reduce the rotation of the axle. I'll also try to shim the trailing arms so they are level at normal ride height
ronncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A panhard bar that far forward of the rear axle won't help any. For it to work right it must be very close to the axle and it too must sit level. It also must connect directly from the frame to axle.

Here's an example I found googling "golf cart panhard bar" image search.

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You might find it easier to angle the lower control arms like I did, eliminating the need for a panhard bar.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are going through the same design pains I went through on my home built draglink rear suspension. I used 2 load carrying shocks with springs that mounted in an A configuration. In the end I added a panhard bar and was very pleased with the results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2307web.jpg (567.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg avatar12345.jpg (176.2 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
A panhard bar that far forward of the rear axle won't help any. For it to work right it must be very close to the axle and it too must sit level. It also must connect directly from the frame to axle.

Here's an example I found googling "golf cart panhard bar" image search.

Correct me if I'm wrong
In this picture does the third link keep the axle from twisting,while the pan hard bar keep it centered?
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #16
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by branson View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong
In this picture does the third link keep the axle from twisting,while the pan hard bar keep it centered?
That's correct.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #17
1sikcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

lot's of good info in here keep it coming!
1sikcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So today I fabbed the trailing arms. 1.5" square tubing (0.12") with polyurethane bushings that mount to the front leaf mounts. The axle is hard mounted about 13" from the pivot points.

This setup allows the rear wheels to tuck up inside the fenders about an inch further than with the leaf springs. At the other extreme, it raises about 3" higher than before.

When the cart is fully lowered, the trailing arms are level to the ground. I believe that ideally they should be level at ideal ride height, so I may shim the axle if this becomes an issue.

As for as the panhard bar, I didn't add one as of yet. I left several inches of extra tubing rearward of the axle. I was thinking I could weld some pivots on there and do a drop from the frame on the opposite side to mount the panhard
bar. I think I could mount the bar so that is the same height as the axle and parallel to it, just a couple of inches behind it. Do you think this would work?? Hopefully better than mounting the bar in front of the axle.

DSC06808.jpg DSC06810.jpg
Old 11-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #19
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the panhard bar is at same height as the axle it will still work, but the frame drop will need to be extra strong since it'll be long. What about an upper control arm? Can't forget that.

We look forward to pictures also.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM   #20
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
If the panhard bar is at same height as the axle it will still work, but the frame drop will need to be extra strong since it'll be long. What about an upper control arm? Can't forget that.

We look forward to pictures also.
I would love to do a radius link as you have shown in post #8. But since the axle is hard mounted, I can't see how that could work. If I made a radius link on the front of the trailing arm, wouldn't that limit the travel? I think I'm going to mock up some paper figures to see how they might function.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > On Road Golf Carts!