lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
tonymoak1111
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up 2003 EZ-Go TXT upgrade

I'm thinking about adding a 12 volt battery to make my 36 volt cart a 48 volt cart. I am running the 500 amp Alltrax controller ( which is rated 24-48 volts model # 592) The motor is also rated for, up to 48 volts. I am seeking more torque. I have not looked to see how the 500A controller is programmed. I guess what I'm asking is, is this a good/bad idea? If I upgrade it, will I get more toque? I do have a HD 48 volt solenoid I plan on installing also. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tonymoak1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2003 EZ-Go TXT upgrade

If you have 6 6 volt batteries do not add one 12 volt battery to make it 48. Instead try to fit 2 6 volt batteries in there somewhere. The 12 volt battery would never charge in series with 6 volt batteries. They have different charging needs.
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh the 12v battery would indeed charge in series with the 36v pack, but it would overcharge greatly I believe due to the vastly different Ah capacities of the 12v battery vs the Ah of the existing 6v batteries. That is is you use a golf cart 12v battery, if you are referring to a car battery then it's even worse. In either case run time would be worse then now.

You say you already have a 48v Alltrax. Do you also have a 48v solenoid and charger? You will need those to convert as well.

Best option is adding two more 6v batteries, used ones are ok if your existing pack has some years on it. I wouldn't mix new batteries with a pack that is very old.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
tonymoak1111
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input. I do have a 48 volt charger and solenoid. I was gonna charge the 12 volt battery up ( golf cart battery) and then add it to the others for a test run. If I like the results, I was then gonna make it permanent.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymoak1111 View Post
Thanks for the input. I do have a 48 volt charger and solenoid. I was gonna charge the 12 volt battery up ( golf cart battery) and then add it to the others for a test run. If I like the results, I was then gonna make it permanent.
well if you do this.....you will be sorry down the road, as it will cause problems. your battery pack needs to be a set if LIKE batteries (all the same, at least the same type) yours won't be. by doing what you are talking about, the pack will be very unbalanced.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
tonymoak1111
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Again, thanks for the input. That's why I came here for suggestions ��. I'll leave it 36 volt and try to program the controller for added torque. Also, after reading posts on here, I definitely need to upgrade my cables to 2 ga. Thanks!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO