lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
Mike_sfl
Getting Wild

Default Lifespan and Performance of a high quality motor?

I've been gone a while because I got my cart where I wanted it and haven't had any issues.

I run a 2003 CC with a PQ Grizzly II and a Scotty B power package.

I run the cart like a rented mule. School bus..ranch duty, etc.

Does the motor wear out or lose performance over time? 2 years in and it "feels" the same, but I'm just curious. Do these need a periodic tune up? Is it a situation that when it dies...it dies?

At any rate, kudos to PQ and Scotty for quality stuff! I have been unfriendly to my cart.

Mike
Mike_sfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lifespan and Performance of a high quality motor?

If it moves it will wear out. Most electric motors die from over heating, so keep it cool and it will last longer. The bearings/bushings will wear out and so will the brushes. The brushes are not that hard to change out when needed. I have not tried changing bearings yet. After lots and lots of use the comutator will need machining, but that takes a bit of abuse of lots of time.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

As long as you don't over heat an AC electric motor they seem to last forever. I would think the same would be true for DC motors. I know letting them set for long periods at a time is not good for them.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #4
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Mike I have a question. With the grizzly 2 motor is your cart very jerky while accelerating from stop let's say if u only press the pedal halfway down? Reason I ask is I contracted PQ saying I have your cart with 23" tires an a 500 amp controller, want a lot of torque and don't care about going over 20-22 mph and they recommended grizzly 2 motor. I have a wife an small child driving cart an don't want it to be To much jerky torque for them unless the pedal was put to the floor. Thanks.
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Mike_sfl
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintv View Post
Mike I have a question. With the grizzly 2 motor is your cart very jerky while accelerating from stop let's say if u only press the pedal halfway down? Reason I ask is I contracted PQ saying I have your cart with 23" tires an a 500 amp controller, want a lot of torque and don't care about going over 20-22 mph and they recommended grizzly 2 motor. I have a wife an small child driving cart an don't want it to be To much jerky torque for them unless the pedal was put to the floor. Thanks.
Dang Captain - I disappeared again! Sorry. I have 4 seat belts installed, for a reason. Torque is absurd with the grizzy 2. If there is meat in the back seat, you WILL do a wheely if you mash the peddle. If you use planks for a pickup, it WILL be a delicate procedure or you will reel the planks off the truck, etc. It is hard not to "bark" the tires pulling out of the garage...in reverse. I have kids, age 3 & 7. I wouldn't trade the motor for anything else. Fine for a driver that knows the cart. But I don't throw the key at a youth carrying others. It will climb a tree. I have thrown my b inlaw off the cart, even after telling him to hold on. My dog has done a mary-lou-retton off the cart...but he's a stubborn *******.

In sum - get it. It's awesome. Pull the key when little people are around, or not so bright bigger people.

Mike

ETA: What are the odds of that? I haven't logged on since the 1st response and you posted today!
Mike_sfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
Captaintv
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Haha! Wow! sounds like I need to order this motor! Only problem is wife rides much as I do and it may be a little to much. 😁. I surely appreciate the review. i have a cousin with a Beast 48 golf cart and he has a dial to set torque from low to high just for kids. Maybe I can research it and hook it up to grizzly?
Captaintv is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car