lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Diff not engaging on my 2003 Workhorse

Hi all,

I had bought 2 workhorse ST 350's a 2000 & 2003 both not running as a project (I am in Australia) One is a basket case the other not to bad both missing a fair few bits.

I finally finished putting on the missing parts and got the 2003 running today. I can not seem to get the diff to lock into any gear (forward or reverse) I tried all the usual trouble shooting and adjusted the cables etc but nothing. I did disconnect the cable and tried to manually engage the gear / diff but nothing.

Both clutches are working fine belts are new, when I rev her up the rear drive clutch spins and does what it should but nothing is going through to the wheels.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great because I really don't want to pull the diff apart just yet.

Thanks.
Aussie Workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Diff not engaging on my 2003 Workhorse

Check for a spun hub. It is not very common on a gas cart but I have seen it. Remove the hub caps and dust covers in the rear. Put the wheels back on & place the cart back on the ground. Have somebody give her gas in gear trying to go while you see if either of the axle nuts spin but the wheel does not... hopefully this is your problem. Welcome to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Scottyb,

Thanks mate for taking the time to give me some advise. Will try out what you suggested as soon as I can and let you know how I go

Aussie Workhorse.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
rib33024

If it is the Hub, and I'm sure it is - like Scotty said, when installing the new hub clean the axle spline real good, install new hub, and torque the axle nut down to 90-100 lbs, and DO NOT back off the nut to put the cotter pin in the axle, tighten it a little more to get the pin in it
rib33024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
Aussie Workhorse
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bingo! (Aussie for you were right) I did what you guys advised and I could see the drivers LHS rear axel nut turning. When I looked at the RHS the axel was not turning (that is correct is it not as I would not think that the diff is locked to drive both rear wheels)

Now a couple of questions do I need one or 2 new hubs?

Is the hub on a workhorse ST 350 the same as most other 2003 petrol ezgo carts?

When I put it in reverse I could not see the wheel nut / axel moving but I put this down to a possible incorrect cable adjustment does this sound right?

Again Thanks Guys.

Aussie Workhorse.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good and bad news eh? Yes, everything you describe sounds normal to me. It looks like the ST350 hub is different than standard TXT gasser.... the studs are longer for 1 thing.... better get the ST350 Hub.
1 will usually patch the cart up. A lot of shops replace both for general practice because the other may also be compromised... Remember to torque the snot out of the castle nut when you re-assemble.
OEM# 21807-G2P

Glad we could help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO