lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
LeonLem1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36/48 volt solenoid

Does anyone make a heavy duty solenoid that can run on 36 volt now and on 48 volt later. I am upgrading my cart in stages, and I hate to buy a 36 volt now and in a year, buy another one for a 48 volt system.

I have a 2006 EZ-Go series cart and I sent my motor to Plum Quick to be rewound for higher torque. I am putting a new set of 4 gauge wires, changing out the forward/reverse switch for a heavy duty reversing contactor, and I already have an Alltrax 400 amp AXE controller. My T-105 batteries are only about two years old, and they are in pretty good shape. I was thinking that I will upgrade to 48V when I need to replace the batteries, or in another year.

If there is a solenoid out there that can run on either voltage, I would put that in now, so in the future, I will just have to change batteries and the charger to go to 48V
LeonLem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 36/48 volt solenoid

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

Look toward the bottom of the page. Pick the super duty 400amp. It runs on 36 or 48 volts. That's the one I have and it has worked great so far. Have used it on both voltages.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

x2
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
LeonLem1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks! I just ordered the Super duty solenoid from Scotty B, along with the cable set and the super duty reversing contactor. Hopefully these upgrades along with my new motor, will make a noticeable difference in performance.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonLem1 View Post
Thanks! I just ordered the Super duty solenoid from Scotty B, along with the cable set and the super duty reversing contactor. Hopefully these upgrades along with my new motor, will make a noticeable difference in performance.
Dang! Scotty you owe me one!
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
With a high torque motor, AXE400 controller, 4Ga cables throughout, Super-Duty solenoid and a reversing contactor system, it will have better acceleration and won't slow as much going uphill, but the top speed will be about the same until you go to 48V, unless the old cables, F/R switch. solenoid and controller were in really bad shape.

When you go to 48V, you'll also get more torque along with more speed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty probably told you, but when you switch to 48v, you'll need to change the resistor on the solenoid.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
LeonLem1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
With a high torque motor, AXE400 controller, 4Ga cables throughout, Super-Duty solenoid and a reversing contactor system, it will have better acceleration and won't slow as much going uphill, but the top speed will be about the same until you go to 48V, unless the old cables, F/R switch. solenoid and controller were in really bad shape.

When you go to 48V, you'll also get more torque along with more speed.
That makes sense. I have a feeling that once I drive it a bit, and see the small gains that I get by doing the above mentioned upgrades, I will be chomping at the bit to make the jump to 48V! I just have to spread the financial pain out a little bit!
I was reading the specs on your setup and noticed that you are running a 42V system. What charger do you use for that?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
That makes sense. I have a feeling that once I drive it a bit, and see the small gains that I get by doing the above mentioned upgrades, I will be chomping at the bit to make the jump to 48V! I just have to spread the financial pain out a little bit!
I was reading the specs on your setup and noticed that you are running a 42V system. What charger do you use for that?
I've got a sizable chunk of change invested in my battery pack, so I use the best portable charger out there, which happens to also be the best bang for the buck.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

The 42V version has the same step-down transformer as the 48V version, so all I have to do if I decide to go to 48V at a later date, is replace the PC Board.

--------
If you decide to go the on-board charger route, the best on-board charger is the Quick Charge, but they cost more.
http://www.quickcharge.com/

---------
Both types go into float charge after the regular charge cycle completes, which is a good feature for long term storage and even if you don't use your cart daily, you always start your trips with a fully charged battery pack.

Basically, the DPI charger is plugged into our cart whenever we're not driving it. Since battery life expectancy is primarily based on the average Soc (State of Charge), my cart batteries may last longer than I will (I turn 71 tomorrow).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Theoretical Charge cycles with Voltages-2.JPG (114.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #10
LeonLem1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I've got a sizable chunk of change invested in my battery pack, so I use the best portable charger out there, which happens to also be the best bang for the buck.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

The 42V version has the same step-down transformer as the 48V version, so all I have to do if I decide to go to 48V at a later date, is replace the PC Board.

--------
If you decide to go the on-board charger route, the best on-board charger is the Quick Charge, but they cost more.
http://www.quickcharge.com/

---------
Both types go into float charge after the regular charge cycle completes, which is a good feature for long term storage and even if you don't use your cart daily, you always start your trips with a fully charged battery pack.

Basically, the DPI charger is plugged into our cart whenever we're not driving it. Since battery life expectancy is primarily based on the average Soc (State of Charge), my cart batteries may last longer than I will (I turn 71 tomorrow).
So how hard is it and what does it cost to change the pc board in the charger? I am curious because I may be interested in changing to 42v now. I could buy one used 6 volt T-105 and add it to my battery pack and buy a charger. That would get me a little more power for now, until I need to replace my batteries, at which time I could make the decision to go with 6-8volts or 8-6 volts to make the change to 48. The only other thing that I would need to do is change the pc board. Is that correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO