lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #1
Jfburton
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 seat swap

Hi, new to the forum. I have a Yamaha G16 that I have done a lot of work on, but now it's the seats that need help. My questions are...will a drive seat fit on the g16? What's better, new covers, or new seats, what aftermarket seats work on the G16? Thank you for your time, trying to figure out which way to go.
Jfburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 seat swap

Drive seats definitely wont fit. Any G-14 to G-22 will fit (and possibly G-8 & G-11 seats, but not G-9).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Out of curiosity, are there any other models seats that would fit on my G2, or am I stuck with G2/9 only for seat options?

The reason I ask is I played a couple rounds of golf a couple months ago out in Palm Springs, CA. While on the courses I drove a new Club Car Tempo, and a new EZGO RXV. Both carts were awful to drive compared to my G2A considering they were both electric. The EZGO seemed far more powerful, and the Club Car had the very annoying GPS system in it that would apply brakes for you before any sharp-ish corners on the cart path. The EZGO was the lithium battery pack and it had excellent torque, but the braking system was hard to get used to as it used motor breaking (or so it seemed judging by the large braking resistor under the seat).

Despite the drivability that I didn't care for, the seats on both of the new carts were far superior to my factory seats on my G2.

Any recommendations on stock seats that will fit, or aftermarket seats would be greatly appreciated!
J-ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #4
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Jfburton, sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread!
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Your G2 seats were probably wonderful 30 years ago. An upholstery shop can redo your seat with new denser foam and new vinyl. Pre-made seat covers are also available.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Your G2 seats were probably wonderful 30 years ago. An upholstery shop can redo your seat with new denser foam and new vinyl. Pre-made seat covers are also available.
Hey Dave, thanks for the input on newer, denser foam. That may be something I look into, however, I fear I did not explain myself very well...

My G2 seats are in remarkable condition considering my cart is an '87 model. I really don't understand how white vinyl still looks this good after the years, see the attached photo.

What I found particularly more comfortable about the newer carts were the depth of the seat bottom, and the width of the hip restraints. The G2 feels kinda crowded with 2 adults on it.

I was curious if another seat base and hip restraints from a newer roomier model could be adapted onto my cart.

Thanks for the reply!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27.jpg (367.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Nice cart. From the shape of the cushion, it looks like the foam has been replaced at some time. The G2 is 3-4 inches narrower than the G16. I can see it feeling cramped. I guess another seat could be adapted, but it would stick out farther on the sides, like your rear seat.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROB View Post
Hey Dave, thanks for the input on newer, denser foam. That may be something I look into, however, I fear I did not explain myself very well...

My G2 seats are in remarkable condition considering my cart is an '87 model. I really don't understand how white vinyl still looks this good after the years, see the attached photo.

What I found particularly more comfortable about the newer carts were the depth of the seat bottom, and the width of the hip restraints. The G2 feels kinda crowded with 2 adults on it.

I was curious if another seat base and hip restraints from a newer roomier model could be adapted onto my cart.

Thanks for the reply!
Those seats have been redone. OEM didnt have seams on the sides :)

G2/G9 have a flat "base" basically to mount the seat on since that whole cover folds forward. Thats sort of a good thing. Unlike the newer carts, ezgo, club car, etc that hinge at the front you are basically mounting a seat to a flat box. Sure it will still take a bit of creativity but it would be a lot easier to adapt another seat bottom to a G9 than most other carts.

FWIW when I had my G9 i made my own seats from scratch. It didnt have seat backs (it was a moldy piece 2x10 screwed haphazardly between the seat supports) and the bottom was so degraded it was unusable. I did reuse the hip restraints and the plastic seat pan but i believe i used a foam bottom cushion from a DS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190208_134249.jpg (803.4 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
J-ROB
Out to Lunch

Yamaha

Thanks Dave!

Thanks for the advice CP and good eye to both of you, I didn't know it had been replaced, but wouldn't have doubted it because of its condition compared to age.

CP, you did a good job on that seat I would have assumed it was factory.

I think I remember The New Guy having a G2/9 with two tone bucket seats? I like the bucket seat idea, maybe once I get to proceed with my plans that COVID has put on hold for the foreseeable future. Check out the updates on my build thread if you have time to read some lengthy updates and what I have been thinking about.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROB View Post
Thanks Dave!

Thanks for the advice CP and good eye to both of you, I didn't know it had been replaced, but wouldn't have doubted it because of its condition compared to age.

CP, you did a good job on that seat I would have assumed it was factory.

I think I remember The New Guy having a G2/9 with two tone bucket seats? I like the bucket seat idea, maybe once I get to proceed with my plans that COVID has put on hold for the foreseeable future. Check out the updates on my build thread if you have time to read some lengthy updates and what I have been thinking about.
Lots of different boat seats available, all colors in many sizes.

The G2 Project 15.JPG

The G2 Project 71.JPG

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha