lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
manatee4148
Not Yet Wild

Default Turn signal reminder installation on club car villager.

Have a 2001 club car DS villager, 48 V system. Purchased an audible turn signal reminder to install. Instructions seem very easy. Red lead of the audible device to the blue wire coming from the three prong flasher. Black lead to the black wire coming from the flasher. After installation, left turn signal mode works with the audible device working, right turn signal mode does not have the audible device working.Checked wiring, check lights, no problem there. Have any ideas?
manatee4148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Turn signal reminder installation on club car villager.

Hmmm sounds like you've got it wired right. Does that flasher have two separate outputs for the left and right side? Maybe you need to run two wires (left and right) to the positive input of the reminder?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
manatee4148
Not Yet Wild

There are three wires that go to the base of the three prong flasher socket. A black wire which should be the common, a yellow wire which I believe powers the flasher, and the blue wire which by the instructions, should be the power wire to the turn signal unit. Don’t know what I’m missing. I know ELECTRIC golf carts can be complicated electrically, and it is probably something above my pay grade of knowledge of basic simple electrical principles.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The following is not necessarily a solution, but a way of visualising the problem and thinking it through. The first diagram is how a three terminal flasher could be wired and the 2nd diagram is my drawing of how I have mine wired. Notice in the first diagram that it has visual lights (arrow heads) wired in, one on each side. You could simply replace them with two sound units (like the pizzo buzzer in the 3rd diagram) and it should work. In your case you have only one sound unit so it would be wired the way your instructions say which is between L and -

When the indicator switch is on (either way) a +ve signal is going from L to the switch. Your sound unit is tapping into that positive signal and sending some of it back to earth through the sound unit thus making an intermittent noise in sync with the flashing.

There is no logical reason why yours should not work so my guess is that it has to do with resistance in the circuits. When you indicate left there is sufficient resistance in the circuit that some of the signal happily goes through the sound unit. When you indicate right there is very little resistance in the circuit so not enough signal goes through the sound unit because it is happily going to ground elsewhere. Is your right flasher working or is there a short somewhere?

Good luck with the search. By-the-way, I don't think this has anything to do with Electric carts being complicated electrically, it is a simple flasher circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flasher circuit 3 terminal.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Circuit - flasher_horn.jpg (77.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg pizo buzzer.jpg (7.7 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are several ways that flashers are wired. On a 3 pin type you can have one terminal to the indicators, and the other to the signal stalk.
Or one side can go to ground, and the other pin to stalk and indicators depending how the signal lights are wired.

If you test the output of the flasher you'll find one wire is power going in, one is power out probably going to the signal stalk (for the main signal lamps) Those will likely have continuity to each other when the flasher is Off (if you unplug the flasher to test continuity). The third wire should then have continuity when the flasher is operating. This one can either be directed to negative (ground) or to the indicator lamps in the dash or in this case the indicator in the switch assembly.

So depending how your unit is labeled, you may have X, P, L terminals. X to P should have continuity when off. X to L should have it when flashing.

Or if +, -, L as the example above. + to L should have continuity when Off. + to - should have continuity when flashing. In this case it depends if the - terminal is connected to negative or to the indicator in the stalk assembly as to which you would use for your input.

Either way, one terminal of the flasher is going to have constant power, the other two will be switched either with the signals On or Off as the flasher operates. One of those two wires will make your sound device work. Try one and if it doesn't work right, try the other.

edit: I re-read your first post. And there is another change you need to make The negative wire for your sound device should be connected to the negative for the voltage reducer or 12v negative connection that the lights use. It should Not be connected to the flasher unit.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #6
manatee4148
Not Yet Wild

Thanks a lot Fairtaxme. Your last sentence did it! Ran a test lead to a negative terminal block. Tested it, and BINGO!!! Crimped a connection on the black common wire of the device to hook it up to the terminal block, and spliced into the blue hot wire from the flasher and put it all together. Thanks again for the great advice!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car