lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 82 G1 clutch issues

After a long drive It feels like something is slipping. Long drive meaning probably 300 yards mostly up hill non stop. When I stop and then soon restart I can hear and feel the engine running but the cart doesn’t move then something will catch and the cart runs fine. I feel this issue is linked to the clutch being hot but not sure. From cold everything hooks up good it seems. Is this normal or is there something I should be checking?
Bigblock460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 82 G1 clutch issues

The clutch is supposed to.work the same whether it's hot or cold. Sounds like it's time for inspection of the clutches.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #3
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

This will be new to me. Is there something specific I’ll be looking for, are these replaceable pieces within the clutch assembly? Thanks
Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Crazy thought but could it be that your generator belt is the issue? Perhaps when it gets warm it is expanding just enough to lose grip. You may want to try tightening and / or replacing that belt.

When you say you can hear your engine running after a bit of haul that may not be the case. You starter could be spinning, at that's what you are hearing, but it's not actually turning the engine as the belt is old or too loose.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I’ll check the belt and tighten if possible. Yes the belt is no telling how old.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock460 View Post
I’ll check the belt and tighten if possible. Yes the belt is no telling how old.
Check the condition of both belts. The big drive belt should be 1 3/16" wide. If it's less it needs replaced. Look for glazing on the sides of the belts where it contacts the pulley/sheaves. It should not be shiny. There should be no cracks or physical damage.

You could remove the belts and look at the clutches. The clutch sheaves/faces should be straight with no "dishing" and should be smooth and flat with no grooves.

The clutches do wear, and they do wear out. The only way to tell for sure if the clutches are worn is to remove them and disassemble them. You'll be looking for flat spots on rollers and cams, missing buttons on the secondary clutch, and of course worn parts that cause "slop".

Feel free to post pics, they will help us a lot.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I took a video . Does this look to be functioning properly.. fixing to check belt width.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Bigblock460
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well the video didn’t work. Drive belt is a little shy of 1 3/16”. Clutch looks to be opening up well with speed acceleration but I don’t have anything to compare it to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D72EB19-78ED-4E76-A36D-7B4D3E166570.jpg (97.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock460 View Post
After a long drive It feels like something is slipping. Long drive meaning probably 300 yards mostly up hill non stop. When I stop and then soon restart I can hear and feel the engine running but the cart doesn’t move then something will catch and the cart runs fine. I feel this issue is linked to the clutch being hot but not sure. From cold everything hooks up good it seems. Is this normal or is there something I should be checking?
dumb question but are you sure the engine is actually running and not just cranking over?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha